Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: window button mods and ac/heat knob mod

window button mods and ac/heat knob mod

so in my chevy van it has those push down to open window- no problem but then pull up to close- major pain.

also i have the round ac/heat controls, i just smack them but not super easy while driving.
    any easy mods for both??
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Not familiar with Chevy, but maybe you could attach something to the knobs/buttons with 2 way tape? 3M Automotive trim attachment tape has a pretty strong bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Not familiar with Chevy, but maybe you could attach something to the knobs/buttons with 2 way tape? 3M Automotive trim attachment tape has a pretty strong bond.
    here are web images i found of both controls. same in my van.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

A couple of small screws screwed into the window switches so you can pivot them forward and back. For the round heater knob try an L shaped screw into the outer edge of the knob. I found the best way to do this is put the screw or L shaped screw in a pair of vice grips then get it red hot and screw it in.

Look at the kit in the photo something like this should have everything you need. They are at Walmart for about $6.
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    here are web images i found of both controls. same in my van.
    The HVAC knobs can either be "augmented" by attaching something to make them more oblong (e.g., wrap a hose clamp around it and tighten; the screw mechanism then makes the resulting assembly "out-of-round") OR replaced by knobs with compatible mounts (usually a D-shaped hole and pressed onto a similarly shaped shaft).

Take a wandewr through an automotive department or an autoparts store: "I'm looking for a knob that would mount on the shaft that THIS knob mounts on BUT that is more oblong..."

A possible problem would be sizing the overall "knob envelope" so that the knob can continue to rotate regardless of surrounding contours. E.g., the image seems to show the knobs on a panel that is slightly recessed -- would an oblong knob hit that raised portion as it was rotated?)

As for the window switches, imagine fastening (epoxy?) a "nub" on the forward (moving) edge of the switch. So, the switch looks more like

Code:
       ||
    +===
    than

Code:
    +===
    (with the fulcrum at the left in each example).

Press down on the || or push forward (to the right, in example) and the window opens.

Pull back and the window raises.

I have a similar but plain jane chev van as John. I think his window complaint is that in order to get the window back up you have to stick your finger in the recess and lift *up*. It's not a push forward type of thing.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I have a similar but plain jane chev van as John. I think his window complaint is that in order to get the window back up you have to stick your finger in the recess and lift *up*. It's not a push forward type of thing.
    If the switch LEVER (!) had a portion that stood straight up, pushing that portion of it forward would cause the original lever to which it was attached to tilt downward.

Likewise, if you pulled back on that upwards protruding extension, the LEVER would have no alternative but to tip upwards AS IF you'd hooked a finger under it and lifted.

The fixed pivot point means the lever can only tip up or down, regardless of the forces you exert on it. What you want to do is apply a force in a "convenient" direction and then count on the (modified) mechanism to translate that into the desired motion.

[Same sort of window controls on our car]

Take a dinner fork (sorry, I can't think of anything else that would be ubiquitous enough and have a shape like I've described).
    Hold the end of the fork in one hand. This is the pivot point.
    Press down on the tines of the fork and the "window" opens.
    Lift UP on the tines and the window closes.

Now, push FORWARD on the tines and where does it go? The other hand holding it prevents it from MOVING forward so it either tips downward or upward.
    Likewise, pull back on the tines.

Now, imagine the tines were at a more pronounced angle (perpendicular) to the body of the fork for a more exagerated motion.

I have a 3D printer and have a few ideas for things that could be attached to each control to make them easier to operate. I could make a few tests/samples and share pictures via this forum or email if you would like.

For the windows how about something that would slide over the existing control and allow you to push/pull to operate (like described in the previous post)?

For the ac/heater knobs about something that slides over the existing knob and provides more surface area (with a grippy surface) for your fist to push on a turn or thin area that would fit between two bent fingers that you could turn?

I am an incomplete para so I cannot appreciate the many more issues an incomplete quad deals with day to day.

/Bill

Quote Originally Posted by btimm View Post
    I have a 3D printer and have a few ideas for things that could be attached to each control to make them easier to operate. I could make a few tests/samples and share pictures via this forum or email if you would like.
    Excellent! The problem, IMO, will be makig something without knowledge of the specifics of "fitting it" to the car in question.

For the windows how about something that would slide over the existing control and allow you to push/pull to operate (like described in the previous post)?
    If you'd rather "push down" (always!) to actuate the window switch, you could extend a piggy-backed lever rearward so you can apply downward force in front of the fulcrum for "open" and behind the fulcrum for "close"

For the ac/heater knobs about something that slides over the existing knob and provides more surface area (with a grippy surface) for your fist to push on a turn or thin area that would fit between two bent fingers that you could turn?
    Again, the problem becomes one of knowing what's around the knobs that could potentially interfere with any "augmentation". I thought a helpful soul at your local NAPA/OReilly's/PepBoys/etc. might be able to dig through their assortment of "replacement knobs" and find something that does what you want, even if it was intended for a different make/model vehicle. (not so with window switches!)

This looks like just about any 'ol knob will fit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dorman-...ty!98115!US!-1
    Next time I'm in my van I'll pull one if I remember.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.