Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going in for Carpal tunnel release

Going in for Carpal tunnel release

Oct. 8th, I'm going in for an Endoscopy Carpal tunnel release surgery. The doc said it's a simple in/out surgery and I should be able to use it fairly quickly. Like most docs, I have a suspicion he's not aware how much effort we put on our shoulders and arms.

I avoided the surgery for years but after having a nerve conduction test and finding out the ulnar nerve is dead and the carpal is not far behind, it was time to do it. the left hand is also starting to be affected. I'm a bluegrass flatpicker in a group as well as a uke player in a couple uke groups so the thought of losing use of my hands is driving me to the point of distraction. The right pinky and ring fingers have already lost strength and gone numb.

So what's the deal with dealing with this after surgery. I imagine I won't be able to pull myself up the van ramp on occasions anymore. What about transfers; how early? We've dug out a Molift I've had for a couple years but never used in case we'll need it. I also have a ZX-1 that I only used around the property. I imagine I'll need to start using it when I go to town now also. 45 years in the chair so I'm not complaining but getting to the point of getting tired of the bs and just letting go.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Your surgeon should help you by getting a physical therapy consult to give you advice and treatment recommendations for transferring after a surgery such as this. If you use your arms, wrists, hands, shoulders for transferring then you cannot use those. I’m sure the surgeon has conditions on how long he/she wants your wrists to be immobile. You may need a Hoyer lift or a different way of transferring. Make sure to advocate for yourself. I’m sure the surgeon doesn’t want to see her/his work destroyed afterward.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

The carpal tunnel release surgery is only for the median nerve - not the ulnar nerve. The ulnar nerve is the nerve that controls the pinky and ring finger. So this surgery would not help that problem. Did the doctor make that clear?

Have you already tried wearing hand braces at night, and an elbow brace at night for the ulnar nerve injury? Have you done OT for these problems? It can be useful to check in with an OT with SCI experience for advice regarding the surgery and recovery as well.

I agree that most orthopedic surgeons will not have the appropriate advice for folks with SCI. They just don't understand.

My Dad is actually checking in with an OT next week about his carpal tunnel symptoms (median nerve getting pinched at the wrist) and his cubital tunnel symptoms (ulnar nerve getting pinched at elbow). He's had symptoms for years, but likely less than yours, and wears braces at night.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I realize the surgery will not help the ulnar nerve. The ulnar is dead, gone. The doc said is was from impingement blood flow loss. He's trying to save what's left of the hand by releasing the carpal tendon. Yep, have gone thru all the different remedies for the past 30 some years or more. That just postponed what's going on now.

I feel it's just part of the aging process. I'm forty=five years post injury. In the earlier years we didn't live this long so the maladies happening to us now they had no idea about. I was extremely active and still am. Those who weren't seem to blame that on a lot of what is happening now. that's complete bs. Most of those inactive people post injury, had upper body challenges much earlier than we athletes.

We do have a Molift that's never been used if needed. Will first have to figure out how to use it. Will start using the ZX-1 more I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I realize the surgery will not help the ulnar nerve. The ulnar is dead, gone. The doc said is was from impingement blood flow loss. He's trying to save what's left of the hand by releasing the carpal tendon. Yep, have gone thru all the different remedies for the past 30 some years or more. That just postponed what's going on now.

I feel it's just part of the aging process. I'm forty=five years post injury. In the earlier years we didn't live this long so the maladies happening to us now they had no idea about. I was extremely active and still am. Those who weren't seem to blame that on a lot of what is happening now. that's complete bs. Most of those inactive people post injury, had upper body challenges much earlier than we athletes.

We do have a Molift that's never been used if needed. Will first have to figure out how to use it. Will start using the ZX-1 more I guess.

I hear you. Aging with SCI is not for the weak....

Good luck with the surgery. Come back and let us know how it goes.

Good luck Patrick!

I popped my bottom stitch on my palm after a trigger finger release surgery (also had a nervous tissue tumour on the same tendon at the joint of the finger). That was from transferring into bed the first night ... almost impossible not to use your hands as a paraplegic.

The one piece of advice I would give is taking it easy so as not to stress other places like your shoulder and other trouble spots in your other arm. In other words, try not to overuse to compensate. I went back to a board about ten years ago ... hate to think of the injuries now if I hadn't!

Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes and how you deal!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thank you all for your great advice and wishes. Sometimes it's tough to keep going after all these years. Seems this injury of ours takes a little piece of us time after time. First inclination is to give up; second one is to plow on to the next one. May we all enjoy the years we have left. As long as I can keep flat pickin' that ole gitar and uke, I'll be okay.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 10-03-2018 at 03:40 AM.

goodluck pat your an inspiration for sure buddy you got this for sure my friend
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Wishing you the best Patrick.