Thread: Increasing clonus and AM spasticity since starting office work

Increasing clonus and AM spasticity since starting office work

I took a new job where I spend my days at a desk in my manual chair for most of the day. Between my commute and work I'm seated like this about 10 hours straight.

Since starting this job my clonus is substantially increased. I used to have a bit in the AM and that was about it for the day. Now I have it any time I'm transferring, all day long.

In the AM, upon waking, I've always had some extensor spasms, but the severity is much increased with this as well.

None of this is unbearable, but I'm hoping it's not indicative of some other issue, such as spinal compression, etc.

Also, the new medical insurance covered a Permobil F5 VS (with all options no less) and the company bought me a standing desk, so I will be able to change my work position/posture throughout the day. I'm hoping this will help.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Do you stretch before you go to work? During breaks/lunch?
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I stretch before work for about 10-15 minutes with my wife's help. No stretching during the day as I don't really know any solo stretches for my manual chair. I then usually lie down for 30 minutes when I get home and do a second round of stretching about half the time.

My plan for the future is to use the new chair to open up my hip flexors periodically by standing and/or lying flat periodically.

same here but i am not working they started me back on baclofen again and i stretch very well multiple times a day. also make sure you are well hydrated. i also have gotten KAFO braces again and since i am standing a min of 30 min 2-3 times a week.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

I've slacked off on standing and FES since working owing to being exhausted after a days work (with a longer commute). I also take baclofen 10mg, 4x/day.
    I probably haven't been hydrating enough as I was having leak issues but those ended when I stopped taking turmeric and then I got botox anyway to get off the oxybutynin.

Isn't it some pressure on your butt issue? Do you perform any pressure reliefs while sitting? Sitting for 10 hours straight is a lot.

I do pressure relief, but probably not often enough. No signs of skin breakdown or sores anywhere.

I hope your new chair will help you change positions that will relieve your symptoms
    keep us posted
    good luck
    pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Always great going into meetings with legs flailing all about, trying to contain them and not raise too many eyebrows. I've often thought about bringing my standing frame in but there's really not the space for it. I fidget and squirm a lot in my chair to maintain comfort as I'm motor complete, sensory incomplete but most days I'm in my manual chair a solid 12 hours. I can pull my feet off the footplate, do a depression and get my legs to spaz and flail about. The usually holds me over for a while. A lot of times I'll roll out to my truck, transfer in and let the seat all the way back to open up hip flexors for a few.

Did the final fit on the new chair today and it's at the shop for fitting in the van. Should have it no later than Friday, hoping sooner.