Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NEW Chair NEW Vehicle Not compatible need ideas solutions?

yes I have especially if i end up with rigid frame chair just for driving i don't think i would want emotion wheels in the house

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    Have you thought about selling the smart drive and then buying set of emotion wheels?

do you mean you can't drive with smart drive attached? if so can or how do you attach and unattach smart drive independently ? lastly how would you rate overall driving from rigid ? comfort? safety?

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    I drive from a rigid chair with a smart drive. The EZ Lock mounts to the bottom of the chair side frame. The Smart Drive mounts to the middle of the back of the frame. The Smart Drive is behind the EZ Lock and doesn't go over the EZ Lock recepticle on the vehicle floor.

Hadn't thought of either idea or even knew they existed on electric or air transfer case would the idea be that they would take up less room ? i would have to talk to a mechanic to see if practical or possible on the hump would give the head room but vision challenges of driving so high would remain. thanks to all this is kind of brain storming that may solve my issue some how.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Could u put an air/electric shifter on transfer case and or put a Gurney hump in the roof?

Thanks John I am going down on Tuesday to DME to look at more options. At this point I guess the hope in short term is to make it at least possible to drive from my permobil Then i think i am going to try the rigid frame idea so definitely want input on mounting brackets hopefully that will work with ez lock.. EZ lock is not installed yet but they will on tuesday unless i come up with better idea

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    paul, i cant find the pics of the custom mount. kshirk here is who's setup im speaking of. i'll email him. he is a good dude.

Dealer and I are brainstorming have made a little progress on truck / conversion side but quickly runnibg out of ideas

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP2013 View Post
    Just in case have you contacted dealer and ATC about solutions/ideas on what might work? Or other solutions other than mods?

Question are your shoulders that bad. Where you can't just lift up the smart drive to take it off the clamp and put back on?? I remove my smart drive about 4 times a day I have the smart clamp it's very easy? I am a T-10 para seems the easiest most cost effective remedy!

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    Well once again my great plan did not go according to plan. converted from manual chair to power chair because of aging shoulders as a 33 yrs post para Bought a new truck and based on a lot of information and extensive research put in ATC conversion. What i did not anticipate is because of transfer case (4WD) chair is offset about 4" I sit rigt at about 55 1/2 " in new chair would have worked but the extra head room I was counting on is nullified by off set essentially my head is mashed up against the roof and grab handle next to window.

Not blaming anyone just looking for solutions I will be paying for this vehicle maybe the rest of my life or at least 7 years ... There does not appear to be any solution or wiggle room on vehicle end i simply have to get shorter in the chair and i think i can adapt to the offset although it is very awkward. I have thought about buying beater power chair for driving or rigid manual (i have always had folders) for loading purposes. Anyone try driving a rigid frame manual with a smart drive and an EZ lock set up? Would smart drive just sort of bump or float over ez lock

Another big problem is storage of extra chair plus the always tough for me chair to chair transfer..

Well as always any and all input is welcome.
    pete

So sorry I think when you started the journey you knew it was going to be close, I think the big take away for others is before you buy double check your new chair you want to get to the new car, van or truck you want to get.

You are the 3rd person this year that has had a major issue like this.

With that being said I think I would still look at doing some mods to the chair and seat bottom...look outside the box, talk to a someone that does motorcycle seating see if the could custom make a seat and shave it down an inch...

Then look and see if you can get a inch on chair height going past where the adjustments are now.

I dont think going back to a wc is the answer because you went through all the work getting the m3!

Have you tried other Permobil models to see if you have the same issue?

Last talk to the guys at Freedom motors they do the same truck mods and maybe they have an option to give you an inch or two?

More brains looking at the idea the more you find a fix!

myu current smart drive is on a folder nearly impossible to take on and off while in the chair (you would have to be an acrobat) however am looking to switch to rigid frame chair so hoping i can switch brackets on current SD haven't got that far yet can i put smart clamp on my current SD with folder bracket?

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    Question are your shoulders that bad. Where you can't just lift up the smart drive to take it off the clamp and put back on?? I remove my smart drive about 4 times a day I have the smart clamp it's very easy? I am a T-10 para seems the easiest most cost effective remedy!

My understanding is that the lift feature and maybe recline cause the extra height. looks like the diagram above is for tilt only? the offset of transfer case really compounded the headroom problem as it puts you near the door and off set from steering wheel i got in the truck today in my manual. The height was perfect, all kinds of headroom even the offset was better as i can manuever closer to transfer case Something doesn't jive . I am going to have to re-measure myself in both chairs as i only thought i was only going to gain an inch with M-3. i will continue to dig, but as of now i think realistically manual rigid seems like the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    So sorry I think when you started the journey you knew it was going to be close, I think the big take away for others is before you buy double check your new chair you want to get to the new car, van or truck you want to get.

You are the 3rd person this year that has had a major issue like this.

With that being said I think I would still look at doing some mods to the chair and seat bottom...look outside the box, talk to a someone that does motorcycle seating see if the could custom make a seat and shave it down an inch...

Then look and see if you can get a inch on chair height going past where the adjustments are now.

I dont think going back to a wc is the answer because you went through all the work getting the m3!

Have you tried other Permobil models to see if you have the same issue?

Last talk to the guys at Freedom motors they do the same truck mods and maybe they have an option to give you an inch or two?

More brains looking at the idea the more you find a fix!

If you're going the rigid route, I posted this a few years back about modifying an EZ lock bracket for a folding chair to mount to a rigid (TR3). I would think a smart drive would roll right over the floor bracket.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...or-a-Tilite-TR