Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new Power Chair...what do you ride, like, hate & reliability? Currently Amy R3

Exclamation Need new Power Chair...what do you ride, like, hate & reliability? Currently Amy R3

Almost 40 years C5/6 quad...Tried lots of chairs over the years but options & quality have changed quite a bit, especially mfg. build quality. Some that used to be really good seem to be supplying POS problem power wheelchairs. Most of the good wheelchair review sites are gone or haven't been updated in years

Used a manual chair first 10 years then:
    Quickie P100
    Quickie P200
    Quickie V522 (still use for airline travel)
    Quantum Blast 850 (loved this beast, fast & built like a tank. My first with any suspension, very nice for my back)
    CURRENT = Amy Systems AllTrack R3 w/ HD motors.

I'm seriously considering another Amy, but exploring other possible options since it will be another 5 years before insurance replacement. It's been 5 1/2 years, 3700 mi. in my Amy & only the part replaced, other than tires & caster front bearings, was a control module about 1 1/2 years ago. This was also my first chair with any seat lift, tilt, light kit & power elevating platform footrest. Would definitely get same features on a new chair.

I always had RWD chairs but found the Amy hybrid RWD/MWD to be more maneuverable & tighter turning so short adjustment time. Not sure I would like a full MWD? Still not a fan of 6-wheel contact for tracking snow, rain, dirt, etc...inside so I am considering the Price Rival RWD.

Pro's:
    High ground clearance - great for camping, hiking, high thresholds & outdoors in general
    Suspension - smooth & no squeaks due to aircraft bushings at pivot points
    Fast - almost 10mph with the bigger HD motors
    Controls - Rnet color LCD & very good adjustable height swing away mount
    Seating - one of the highest lift seats

• Very quiet lift-tilt-leg elev motors
    • lowest seat to floor height with power lift seating installed

Footrest - my 1st center platform & will never go back to swing away. Better turn clearance & easier transfer (angle closer to bed, chair, etc..)

Con's:
    Style - not bad but in my opinion Permobil has better look
    Motor - relatively quiet for HD but loud CLICK on start/stop
    Ride - Center of gravity seems too far forward of drive wheels cause front tires to wear faster
    • CG causes some "cant/hanging" turn from stop if tire pressure a little low

All opinions, comments & experiences welcome.

TY

I'm a Permobil fan.I did like the Quantum Blast 850 but all Pride products I had after were a disaster. Completely unreliable. Permobil has been the most reliable so i stick with them. It would be nice if someone would build a nice looking power chair that was functional. They all look hideous to me.

Otto Bock rolled out their B600 a few years ago that looked awesome (Benz-Lexus style) & videos on Reeve Foundation & Otto Bock showed great functions. It is/was available in Europe & they opened up an office in Minneapolis but I could not get any response to inquiries. Think they closed North America operations in less than a year. I think the US version was to be a B500.

There's a long discussion about the Amy & other chairs in this thread you may want to take a look at it. I have an Amy on order now. I've spent 37 years in various Invacare rear wheel power chairs. After demoing many chairs over the last few years especially over the Summer. I settled on the Amy R Hybrid.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-it-holding-up
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

I'd like to try a Otto Bock chair. I have their backrest 3, I think it;s called with side guards. Great idea with the different bags in back to make custom like fitting.
    Have backrest on Quantum Q6. I know alot folks have alot complaints/problems with Pride products but this chair been really good for me(Knock wood). It's going on about 6 to 7 years now, just batteries been expenses on it.
    Got replacement ROHO Quadtro Select from ROHO for it. Can't express my respect, trust and loyalty to ROHO products as well as their Support Department! They are GREAT!
    I think I posted to Mr. Norm's link to Amy System R. I have a AmySystem R HD model which be a bit over 8 years now, I think and really to big for me. I followed seating measurements a new person done, never do that! Use your own measurements! Also, instead of Group 24 batteries, I'd went with Group 22NF. The 24's make hub to hub width to 25". I'm not real active user any longer so extra mileage is lost on me. The narrower width would benefit me more. Center footplate to low to ground, might be measurement thing but ramps, curb cuts, even drive ways have raise footboard or tilt chair to keep from scrapping.
    Other than measurements being IMHO way to big it's a stead fast chair. I'm only only hard smooth surfaces so it's rough terrain abilities is lost on me.
    Permobil, Mama has a 350 with Corpus Seating. She liked it, needs replaced due to motor leakage/problems and DME said cheaper to replace than repair, we gave up on national company we were dealing with, long boring story. Not took on getting her replacement chair yet, she's been using her backup chair and my backup chair to make due til she ready go though hoops again.
    Corpus seating is GREAT! Smooth operation, comfortable and very adjustable. It is large footprint chair was Mama's only complaint til motor problems developed.

If/when we go for new chairs we place on checking out Permobil F3, Quantum 4-Front for me and Mama been thinking Quantum Q2 Edge and AmySystem R with smaller and wider wheels they offer now with smaller batteries to narrow it as well as lower seat height.

Just be sure to get Manufacture Rep to bring chairs you want demo to your home or area you will be using on daily basis if at all possible. Again, do your own measurements using order form for chairs you want try out and take with you to Seating Clinic, question measurements they obtain, if different than yours and discuss them to cover all aspects of usage of chairs.

From my experience of 33 years C-4 quad, I started out in an E&J sip and puff chair and then graduated up to an ortho Fab which had the joystick, built like a tank, stainless steel and have the as hell! I kept that for about 7 years and then got that Quickie P200! And that was one of the best chairs I ever owned. Fast and nimble, smaller frame to get in and out of tighter places. Design not to flip backwards, and I use the same MK batteries for 10 years!

The next chair I got after that one, which I had to because I had a flap done on my sacrum, was in Invacare TDX SP with just tilt. I use to move around so much in the chair, leaning over just moving around always Pressure off my butt because I use a Rollo so never needed the tilt or recline. The TDX is a good chair, the only problem I really had with the SP1 is the travel height on the front wheels did not have much travel just to get through a threshold on the door I had to turn around and back in! They have fixed data on the new SP2.

Now that my chair is 5 years old I'm looking to get a new chair and I'm just deciding whether to go with a neither TDX SP2 that has the full tilt and recline (I hate that I have to use those now, started out using bigger chairs worked my way down to smaller chairs and now having to get bigger chairs again! I hate getting older!) Also looking at the Quickie QM710 because I had good experience with Quickie before. Was looking at the Frontier V6 but I heard things about the reliability isn't that great. But then I just saw that Amy systems on this site, so that may be a contender. I'm going to start a new thread on this so I can have everybody's input
    C4 incomplete since 1985

I use a Quickie 646SE. It has tilt and recline and max speed is 8.5mph.

I've had two Invacare TDX chairs and now a Permobil M300 which is an older model of the new Permobil M3. Invacare is still under ongoing investigation by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration).

If you don't have Permobil on your radar screen of consideration, you are really out of touch. Permobil builds a quality chair and has great after market support.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    If you don't have Permobil on your radar screen of consideration, you are really out of touch. Permobil builds a quality chair and has great after market support.
    I agree with that but for those of us used to RWD it's tough to use Permobil since they discontinued the Street and their RWD chair hasn't been updated in many years, if they still sell it. I've been using RWD for so long I just don't know if I could switch over.

Quote Originally Posted by bjack56 View Post
    Almost 40 years C5/6 quad...Tried lots of chairs over the years but options & quality have changed quite a bit, especially mfg. build quality. Some that used to be really good seem to be supplying POS problem power wheelchairs. Most of the good wheelchair review sites are gone or haven't been updated in years

Used a manual chair first 10 years then:
    Quickie P100
    Quickie P200
    Quickie V522 (still use for airline travel)
    Quantum Blast 850 (loved this beast, fast & built like a tank. My first with any suspension, very nice for my back)
    CURRENT = Amy Systems AllTrack R3 w/ HD motors.

I'm seriously considering another Amy, but exploring other possible options since it will be another 5 years before insurance replacement. It's been 5 1/2 years, 3700 mi. in my Amy & only the part replaced, other than tires & caster front bearings, was a control module about 1 1/2 years ago. This was also my first chair with any seat lift, tilt, light kit & power elevating platform footrest. Would definitely get same features on a new chair.

I always had RWD chairs but found the Amy hybrid RWD/MWD to be more maneuverable & tighter turning so short adjustment time. Not sure I would like a full MWD? Still not a fan of 6-wheel contact for tracking snow, rain, dirt, etc...inside so I am considering the Price Rival RWD.

Pro's:
    High ground clearance - great for camping, hiking, high thresholds & outdoors in general
    Suspension - smooth & no squeaks due to aircraft bushings at pivot points
    Fast - almost 10mph with the bigger HD motors
    Controls - Rnet color LCD & very good adjustable height swing away mount
    Seating - one of the highest lift seats

• Very quiet lift-tilt-leg elev motors
    • lowest seat to floor height with power lift seating installed

Footrest - my 1st center platform & will never go back to swing away. Better turn clearance & easier transfer (angle closer to bed, chair, etc..)

Con's:
    Style - not bad but in my opinion Permobil has better look
    Motor - relatively quiet for HD but loud CLICK on start/stop
    Ride - Center of gravity seems too far forward of drive wheels cause front tires to wear faster
    • CG causes some "cant/hanging" turn from stop if tire pressure a little low

All opinions, comments & experiences welcome.

TY

A few notes...if your funding a chair higher speed motors are not covered or very hard to fund unless your under VA.

So that would be out of pocket.

2nd Rear wheel drive is an old drive and you will get much more maneuverability from front wheel drive.

With that being said there is major push back from rear wheel drive users to change drive configuration.

Some make a small change from rear wheel to mid but then you have the issues of mid wheel drives getting stuck in high incline paths, gravel, wet grass, dirt or mud usage.

As some of the others have posted Permobil chairs are very reliable and I have a 12" lift and they have a 14" lift available on some models.

I roll in a F3 and coming from years of mid wheel and rear wheel use its by far the most comfortable chair and outperforming any chair I have had including Invacare, Pride!

I have had tons of Pride chairs and as I have posted biggest pieces of JUNK!!

Which ever chair you get do try others in your home environment and transportation environment like driving, public transportation, school or work just to make sure its fitting your needs and do a weekend demo so its more then just rolling in a chair for a few mins.

Good luck!