Thread: Shower Chair/commodes keep being destroyed by airlines.... what can I do?

Shower Chair/commodes keep being destroyed by airlines.... what can I do?

Hi all,

I am currently either looking for a compact AND rugged shower chair that meets some specific criteria, or some form of a hard case or other ideas on transporting my shower chair/commode so that it doesn't get destroyed. On my last two flights, my shower chair was absolutely mangled. I managed to get by in Mexico with it until it fell apart on the very last day as I was getting off of the toilet, but in Boston this last weekend, I had to send my girlfriend out to get one as I couldn't find a place that would do same day delivery of a chair.

So, anyway, I am looking for suggestions on cases/luggage that will hold a 22x21x25 shower chair frame (broken down, of course) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and can be loaded into the bed of my truck and moved by myself. I do fly solo sometimes. I am not having much luck outside of a custom road case that weighs 30 pounds and costs $425+ dollars.

I've searched TONS of threads on here over the last few years, and I have looked at a few shower chairs, and frankly, the Medline style basic chairs work best for me. https://www.medline.com/product/Stee...es/Z05-PF04651

I am VERY open to looking at other chairs, but here are my requirements:
    1. Drop Arm
    2. Adjustable height legs
    3. HARD plastic seat surface - I bought a GoesAnywhere chair and another in-home chair that both had padded seats, but my butt sticks and it is almost impossible to get out of the shower on those.
    4. low profile sides so that I can digital stim during bowel routine.
    5. Bucket option, I camp sometimes

The Go! seat is nice, but, unfortunately, it didn't work out for me. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!
    Matthew

Have you looked at a Nuprodx chair? Customization on most of them. Not cheap, but very durable, and come with a carry case.

Are you checking your shower commode or gate checking? You may find less damage issue if gate checking.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    I ship a box with all my crap ahead of me when I fly. Shower chair(disassembled), spares, off-road wheels, freewheel, BP kit, etc.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Have you looked at a Nuprodx chair? Customization on most of them. Not cheap, but very durable, and come with a carry case.

Are you checking your shower commode or gate checking? You may find less damage issue if gate checking.

(KLD)
    I have looked at the Nuprodx chairs. It appears that they only offer soft foam seats, which I can't use very effectively.

I checking the chair at the cubr most of the time, it's easier that way. I'll keep in mind gate-checking, that may help! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I ship a box with all my crap ahead of me when I fly. Shower chair(disassembled), spares, off-road wheels, freewheel, BP kit, etc.
    That's not a bad idea, but for the price, I could literally just order a shower chair and have it sent to each city @ $75 a pop, and it'd be easier and cheaper. But, I'm not okay with the thought of throwing away $75 4 times in a 2-3 month period.

Blog Entries
    Ahhhhh, makes sense, but my shower chair was closer to $3,000 than $75! Shipping it with insurance is more sensible for me. (Nuprodux self-propelled toilet/shower chair)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Ahhhhh, makes sense, but my shower chair was closer to $3,000 than $75! Shipping it with insurance is more sensible for me. (Nuprodux self-propelled toilet/shower chair)
    I'm looking to get one right now. I have a friend that is a dealer and he'll give me a huge discount. Can you take a picture of yours?
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Blog Entries
    I guess I could but my shower isn't exactly camera ready to be documented in perpetuity on the internet. I'd rather not. It's just a standard Nuprodux 4020. Anything at or under $2,000 would be a good deal IMO.