Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: implanted with a spinal cord stimulation device

implanted with a spinal cord stimulation device

Impressive. Hopefully we begin to see some solid progress in the actual “healing” of the spinal cord. However, until that happens, this is a pretty good option.

Let's not get overexcited here
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Ha. Years of research and days and hours of expensive PT that nobody can pay for and insurers won’t as well. Would think it would make sense to go after marketization of basic version that improves all the autonomic functions. That by itself would help millions and save $$$. Then work to improve the implant and improve its technology. Instead they seem to want to impress people with non functional walking. Improving blood pressure or bladder alone would be amazing for improving our lives. Still not sure what the end game is?

Showing it benefits lots of people on a less flashy issues, could lead to a device company taking it and investing $ to bring it to market. Research fot the sale of research. Proving something works or doesn’t and why. Someone else will be needed to take it further.

Lack of posts show that nobody is all that excited about stuff that made national and global news.

I have about a dozen "hey look they cured paralysis!" posts to my fb timeline. Thanks Harkema. Another media blitz with cherry picked results to get you a couple more years of research grants.

Why can't she just promote it for what it is? A potential return of some function for incomplete SCIs. It's pretty cool at that, but I'm guessing one should use the transcutaneous to see if it makes sense to bury one in one's spine.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyerly View Post
    Lack of posts show that nobody is all that excited about stuff that made national and global news.
    I wish SCI organizations would realize that instead of just riding the wave of the news. In my opinion this means SCI people are not naive anymore.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I have about a dozen "hey look they cured paralysis!" posts to my fb timeline. Thanks Harkema. Another media blitz with cherry picked results to get you a couple more years of research grants.

Why can't she just promote it for what it is? A potential return of some function for incomplete SCIs. It's pretty cool at that, but I'm guessing one should use the transcutaneous to see if it makes sense to bury one in one's spine.
    I agree with your considerations

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

It’s partial return of function. Most of the people that received the implants are AIS A.

Heal the cord back together again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyerly View Post
    Ha. Years of research and days and hours of expensive PT that nobody can pay for and insurers won?t as well. Would think it would make sense to go after marketization of basic version that improves all the autonomic functions. That by itself would help millions and save $$$. Then work to improve the implant and improve its technology. Instead they seem to want to impress people with non functional walking. Improving blood pressure or bladder alone would be amazing for improving our lives. Still not sure what the end game is?

Showing it benefits lots of people on a less flashy issues, could lead to a device company taking it and investing $ to bring it to market. Research for the sale of research. Proving something works or doesn?t and why. Someone else will be needed to take it further.
    When the time comes that doctors or researchers can heal the spinal cord back together again and make all of our nerves working again it will make national and worldwide news. At that time most spinal cord injured people will go for it. Some would live their life as it is now. Why bother with all that physical and occupational thearpy?

It will only benefit the newly injured. Those of us who are injured will have to have extensive physical and occupational thearpy. That is several hours each day. My medical insurance will only cover 60 visits at 85/15% cost, after that I would have call my medical provider for extended PT and OT time which will be very costly up to maximum out of pocket of $10,000.00.

Now I am full-time employed and I would have to use up all of my sick leave and when that runs out my annual leave which is 240 hours annual per year. All of my leave would be burned up and what would I use when I would really need to take time off to see the doctor of a sci related illness. Leave without pay is left.

My work would also suffer since I am away from my job doing thearpy and I bet I would be exhausted after every session.

Those who are on SSDI would benefit better because they can rest when the got home and not worry about their employer's job duties.

I no longer get excited when some new product, procedure or thearpy come along and they use the words very promising. In the above video they didn't say "very promising" but my ears are always open to listen for those words.

Any device planted inside the human body will have to be replaced at some point and time in the future. That's the way the body works. Pacemakers, stainless steel or titanium ball joints and knee joints, silcone implants all have to be replaced at some point in the future.

There is also so many times an anesthesiologist can put under for surgery too.

Lyerly kind of nailed it good.

Don't get your hopes up too high on this one. What about finger, fore arm and shoulder return with this device? Nothing was said about those functions.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."