Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apartments with a roll in shower

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher View Post
    Having moved nearby you in the Clearwater area recently, I did a lot of research on ADA apartments and had a lot of frustrating conversations. In this area the only units I could find with roll in showers were for those who qualify for public housing. From the many apartments I talked to they follow ADA requirements but do not make modifications or install handrails, roll under sinks, etc. Instead the cost falls solely on the individual needing the accommodation and you must also pay to return it to its original state when you leave. I am originally from Minnesota and had fully accessible apartments there with hand rails, raised toilets, and roll in showers for the past 7 years and did not realize the experience is different depending on location!
    Very interested in this topic of accessible rentals. I'm wondering if you lived in relatively new housing in MN, that is, after passage of the ADA - perhaps the builder was required to have accessible units.
    Just wondering if you checked new housing in Clearwater.

Also, if disabled tenant is employed, I believe one can still deduct 'disability related expenses' from tax return (No, not under "medical").

You mentioned that you found LL would require tenant doing modifications to return unit to original condition upon leaving - perhaps LL stated that for scare purposes? Can't imagine that holding up in court.

You mentioned that you found LL would require tenant doing modifications to return unit to original condition upon leaving - perhaps LL stated that for scare purposes? Can't imagine that holding up in court.
    Unfortunately that is quite common in California too. And it is legal.

When I was working at the VA we often discharged active duty SCI/D patients to military housing. At one time they would remodel bathrooms to put in a roll-in shower and other modifications needed (at the military's expense), but amazingly, rip all that out and put it back to it's previous inaccessible state when the service member moved elsewhere. Your and my tax dollars at work!!! Fortunately they stopped doing that a few years ago and then would only allow those service members who needed the roll-in shower to access these units.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

That's bad.....! It's clear that a lot more needs to be done in regard to accessible housing, particularly apartments. In years past I heard of two very accessible apartment units that were advertising such, but got no tenants and then rented to non-disabled persons. It would be nice if there was some kind of exclusive data base for realtors to list such apartments showing photos, and available on the net for seekers.
    From what I see now, most listings like this are not truly accessible - maybe a grab bar in the shower or tub, and a ramp that's not up to code.

Great LL because he is under no obligation to have the work done and or pay for it. He has to allow you to get it done and it is on you to pay for it and as has been said could require you to put it back like it was if he allowed you to have it done and you paid for it. So again you have a great LL or maybe he thought he had too do it. Hard to know from here

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Moved into a ground floor garden apt last year in NJ, but not before the LL removed the tub and replaced it with a "BathFitters" made 1/4 inch lip shower stall. As long as it was per ADA the LL foot the bill. I submit that it was done well: neat, crisp, no caulk mess job and the product is durable, easy to maintain.

I am in a little town in NC and I had an apartment one time that had a roll in shower. I would say they are few and far between

Elkridge, MD: apartments have roll-in showers in the gym bathrooms. Apartments themselves have walk-in showers, they added grab bars in the apartment bathroom for me.

This is a great thread and I am in the same position. It’s like finding a needle in a haystack.
    I need to have a roll in shower and finding a fluid process to Begin locating apartments is quite the undertaking. I wish there were some resources available or is someone mentioned before a realtor page that includes universal design elements.