Thread: Apartments with a roll in shower

Apartments with a roll in shower

Is there such a thing? My apartment does not have one. It would be really nice to find one with a roll in shower.

I bought a one bedroom flat and spent about $10000 making it accessible. It was reasonably close to being accessible to begin with (which is why I bought it) but I still had to knock out a wall , change the flooring etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lurch View Post
    I bought a one bedroom flat and spent about $10000 making it accessible. It was reasonably close to being accessible to begin with (which is why I bought it) but I still had to knock out a wall , change the flooring etc.
    I'm not looking to buy right now. My apartment is ok but no roll in shower.

Had a friend who lived in a senior housing complex and they installed a roll in shower for her at no cost to her. The place was in the process of remodeling to make some barrier-free units at the place. They also installed a power door and ADA toilet and sink and countertop. Kitchen had lower countertops. If and when you are looking for housing you may want to look at "senior residences", especially new ones. (Thank ADA). They are generally for age 55+, however my understanding is that a disabled person can rent if they are below that age.

I'm sure some folks would be squeamish about living in a senior place, but it can beat trying to find accessible housing elsewhere.
    If you look into this in your area, hope you share your findings, positive or negative, with CC.

None in my area. Mine has a walk in shower, but has a lip of several inches.

Slightly off topic, but my previous apartment was carpeted. My chair destroyed the carpet. When I asked to have it replaced, I asked if wood/laminate was an option. They said yes, but the additional cost would be at my expense. I declined, as I did not want to invest in a property I didn't own. Good thing, since I no longer live there. If you intend to stay there, might that be an option?

I have seen a few in California, in new builds of course. My sister actually lived in one in the Sacramento area about 20 years ago for a few months while deciding to buy a home. She didn't request it, but it was the only apt. they had available. I have also seen them in some Section 8 apt. complexes in the San Diego area. I have had clients who got permission to put one into a rental they intended to stay in for some time, of course with the landlord's permission, and at their own expense.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks for all of the info.

Moved into a ground floor garden apt last year in NJ, but not before the LL removed the tub and replaced it with a "BathFitters" made 1/4 inch lip shower stall. As long as it was per ADA the LL foot the bill. I submit that it was done well: neat, crisp, no caulk mess job and the product is durable, easy to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Is there such a thing? My apartment does not have one. It would be really nice to find one with a roll in shower.

Newer units or properties have them and more senior complexes have them.

Check around most cities have grants and if the property owner agrees it can be modified and paid right to the company doing the modification.

Look for center for aging in your city for grant information and direction.

If done right its a win for the owner as universal design is more rentable.

Depending on your step not being to tall you can by ramping if you have room.