Thread: Partition question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Partition question

I am trying to reinstall my Kali Linux distro.
    Somewhere along the way I have a bit too many partitions.
    The bootable is not seen even using the USB. It will read the Win 10 home USB
    and even my Fedora USB live . I know there is an issue trying to assess the boot
    record, I am just not sure how to get to it. I have tried command lines from Win
    and *nix. I am at a loss.
    Any help is very much appreciated.

Post script: My BIOS boot order is set for USB then CD/DVD then the internal drive.
    64 bit Intel HP.

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    I am trying to reinstall my Kali Linux distro.
    Somewhere along the way I have a bit too many partitions.
    The bootable is not seen even using the USB. It will read the Win 10 home USB
    and even my Fedora USB live . I know there is an issue trying to assess the boot
    record, I am just not sure how to get to it. I have tried command lines from Win
    and *nix. I am at a loss.
    Any help is very much appreciated.

Post script: My BIOS boot order is set for USB then CD/DVD then the internal drive.
    64 bit Intel HP.
    Let me rephrase this to verify that I understand what you're saying.

First, in each of these cases, you are trying to boot from a USB device (thumb drive?).

And, you have been able to successfully boot a "W10 home" thumb drive as well
    as a "Fedora Live" thumb drive. I.e., you have concluded that the computer knows
    how to boot from USB media.

But, you're having problems trying to boot from a Kali Linux thumb drive?

What do you mean by "tried command lines from Win and Unix"? I assume you mean
    from the successful boots of "W10 Home" and "Fedora Live". But, what did you try
    to do from the command lines to remedy your problem (with the Kali Linux device)?

Have you examined the partitions on that (Kali Linux) thumb drive using W10/Fedora
    tools? If so, which tools and what did they tell you?

Have you tried to mount the Kali Linux device under Fedora and see that it is readable
    and appears to have the correct content?

When you try to boot the Kali Linux USB device, does it recognize the device -- and
    just refuse to boot from it? Or, does it not see the device, at all?

Can you change your boot order to USB, None, None (i.e., don't give the machine any
    other options besides the USB device) and see what its complaint happens to be?

I have tried mounting. The Kali has only the live boot as well as the Fedora. The Win 10 is just a back up my Win machine.
    I have gone into the BIOS and set it accordingly.
    I had thought of using the UBCD or even the professer messer disk.
    I have three viable stations to burn the disk with. I did the FAT system .. I am at a loss?
    Tried looking for answers as far as the Grub and entering the "ls" command"
    > recovery mode and it returns:
    " (hd0) (hd0, msdos6), (hd0,msdos1) "

Thank you the reply. I have a hard time finding anyone understanding the stuff, I was able to find a DVD with Win 10 from school to rid the ill partitions. Now I am back to square one with putting Kali in this and it getting stuck not even half way. Bummer

Thank you the reply. I have a hard time finding anyone understanding the stuff, I was able to find a DVD with Win 10 from school to rid the ill partitions. Now I am back to square one with putting Kali in this and it getting stuck not even half way. Bummer
    Sorry, I'm trying to understand where you ARE, where you're HEADED and what you've TRIED.

Can we start at the beginning, so we're all on the same page?

You have a computer (PC?) with a disk drive in it (?)

You have a thumb drive with Kali Linux distro already ON it (?)

You want to install the Kali distro onto the PC (?)

You've done "something" and are stuck "somewhere"...

with some sort of indication that you can proceed no further...

I am using an HP laptop. I successfully removed all the partitions.
    I am using a DVD now to install Kali. I have searched for tutorials
    with installing it. It is currently getting stuck on "Installing system".
    I am not trying to do a dual boot or anything like that.
    Simply Kali as a primary OS.
    I cannot recall how I did it before so I keep trying to find the tutorial
    on line.

I am using an HP laptop. I successfully removed all the partitions.
    I am using a DVD now to install Kali. I have searched for tutorials
    with installing it. It is currently getting stuck on "Installing system".
    I am not trying to do a dual boot or anything like that.
    Simply Kali as a primary OS.
    I cannot recall how I did it before so I keep trying to find the tutorial
    on line.
    Here's the first hit at duckduckgo:https://docs.kali.org/installation/k...d-disk-install

The "grahical install" is the most user-friendly, but requires the default video drivers to be compatible with your hardware (usually OK at this point). If it hangs, fall back to the less friendly "Install" option.

The only question you might want to err on the conservative side (initially) concerns the partitioning for the disk. Pick "Guided use entire disk". Goal here is to get a system running and then, if need be, do it all over again if you want to tweek it for your specific needs.

Likewise, select "All files in one partition" (this is far from ideal but, again, "safest" just for a test installation).

No RAID. No LVM. No encryption.

Select "No" for "network mirror" (for packages). Worry about that later (when you REinstall it the way you want!)

Allow GRUB to install its boot blocks.

Try to watch the disk activity light and the DVD drive light. LONG periods of inactivity can be cause for alarm. However, it could also just be that the processor is busy crunching the last bit of stuff that it read off the disk (usually, everything is compressed so has to be expanded by the CPU).

Also, try to note any "pattern" in these two indicators. Typically, they alternate blinking. If one stays on continnuously (doesn't appear to be "fluttering"), then it could be that drive is throwing errors and it is trying to recover.

If the process (of copying files onto your disk) never really gets started, it could be that you have to tweek some BIOS setting (AHCI mode, etc.).

Make sure you have enough RAM in the machine else it might silently hang (or, it may dramatically crash! )

If you are convinced the processor has "hung", reboot and select the appropriate "Live" mode to run off the DVD. Then, you can use the Linux tools to explore the hard disk to see if it was properly labeled, partitioned, how much stuff was installed, etc.

When I build a new machine, regardless of the OS or hardware, I keep a log of what questions I was asked, how I replied, any options I chose, etc. Then, I can go back and figure out what I might want to change "next time". I tend to count to myself between steps (one mississippi...) in case any step takes longer than I expected. If things move along swiftly, I can stop counting almost immediately. But, when things take a long while, I've already started accumulating a record of how long the delay is (approximately). So, next time, I know where the long pauses will be!

Thank you to all that replied.
    It's 64 bit and have run the usual tests on the drive and memory.
    It ran Kali before. I am in AMD fail safe mode and am going to try to install it that way.

Funny note is that I finished the bookwork at school for IT diploma. It focused mostly on Windows, a bit of Network Security the usual.
    I was known as the "Linux" or "hacker" guy lol. When the doofy network would go down, I was to blame since I have a WiFi Jammer.
    Upon my last class we were going to go over security and pen testing which of course involves Linux.
    A fellow classmate that was also my ride to school did not pass her 902 CompTIA due to Linux command line questions.
    She used to comment that she hated command lines and much more *nix command lines.
    I would tease her about it

I personally was started with command prompts and such. So was Mom. GUI was a bit alien to her.
    I am still working on the machine. Now battle two is this Dell Inspiron 1525 that ran fine. Now prompting me for a BIOS password.
    I have taken out the back panel to access the CMOS battery and can see it but I need a better tool to pop it out.
    This particular Dell is meant to be gifted to my Isis at the end of the school year if she does well in school.