Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Question

Question Vehicle Question

I?ve been a para for over 30 years and I?m looking to replace a 2001 2-door Eldorado, but really don?t want to get a van. Does anyone have any experience or know of any good 2 door vehicles with a backseat large enough to accommodate a folded up Quickie?
    I always thought the car I have would last longer then me, so I?m not real up to date on what?s available or what people are using as a good wheelchair vehicle anymore. Since my shoulders are pretty shot I?m even considering switching to a pick up truck or something that could be modified to accommodate some type of lift. I?m at the starting point so any feedback anyone has with what works good for them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling post!

My 2015 GTI works well for me, but I wish they made a 3 door! (two doors on pass side)
    It's such a PITA to put my chair in the back when a passenger needs the RF seat.
    PS:VW, stupidly deleted the two doors; now only four doors available.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

2 years ago we drove every car dealer in 50 miles of here nuts trying cars. We liked the Mini, but it has a bad maintenance rep. Toyota Yaris is OK for one person. We ended up with a Honda Fit. It has the coolest back seat. We get three chairs in the car, two folders and a tennis chair. It is a bit of a pain for me to get in the driver seat, like all these 4 doors. I still love my 84 Jeep, even though I had to make a winch setup to get my fat ass in it.

You may want to reconsider the van, and driving from your chair. All those transfers and lifting the chair in/out of the car, over the years, put a lot of stress on your shoulders, and you are (ahem) not getting any younger.

I always remember Barry Corbett speaking at a conference on aging with SCI in the 1990s saying "my doctor told me to get a van, get a power chair, and give up kayaking. Now years later, I have a van, a power chair, and have not kayaked in years. I wish I had gotten the van and the power chair so that I could have gotten a few more years of kayaking". Preserve your shoulders at all costs so that you can continue to do the fun things you need them for. This may mean giving up some things like car transfers.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Van is a financial and reliability can of worms which might not be desirable. Large 2 door vehicle and long transfer board/light wheelchair I think would be the ticket. But anyway, getting to vehicles...Dodge Challenger is pretty much the largest 2 door around, seat height is 'higher' for more level transfers, large back seat area, etc. I think it might be rather comparable to the Eldorado in interior size. Maybe head over to the local Dodge dealer and try one out.

I am still in search for a SUV that a powerchair can get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
    I?ve been a para for over 30 years and I?m looking to replace a 2001 2-door Eldorado, but really don?t want to get a van. Does anyone have any experience or know of any good 2 door vehicles with a backseat large enough to accommodate a folded up Quickie?
    I always thought the car I have would last longer then me, so I?m not real up to date on what?s available or what people are using as a good wheelchair vehicle anymore. Since my shoulders are pretty shot I?m even considering switching to a pick up truck or something that could be modified to accommodate some type of lift. I?m at the starting point so any feedback anyone has with what works good for them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling post!
    I have a 2008 dodge ram with turney seats driver and passenger with the topper and lift for chair I like an idiot bought with out doing a lot of thinking I am a quad its just to hard drives great bit to hard for me alone100k miles send me message below tallahasse oh it 4dr and 4 wheel dr

Thank you all for your replies. I guess I really need to get out to the dealerships and see what works best for my situation. I truly appreciate all the feedback. Thanks again,
    Crazy8

Unfortunately for wheelchair users not wanting to drive a van, affordable two door coupes are a dying breed. Camaros, Mustangs or Challenger seem to be the only viable options now if you are buying new. I remember the Saturn Ion and Honda Element had small clever rear suicide doors that would've suited your needs quite nicely. I have a 2010 Audi TTS that I love. The doors open close to 90 degrees but you would never be able to pull in a folder unless you popped the rear wheels off. I use a Tilite ZRA with a folding back that I can get in and out of the car without issue. I place the rear wheels behing the driver's seat and the frame upside down on passenger rear seat. Things are pretty snug back there but you wouldn't want those wheelchair parts to have a lot of free movement while your driving anyway.

I have a fold-up TiLite TX that fits very easily behind the driver's seat of my 2009 Chevy Colorado Extended Cab LT3 pickup truck. I had the truck lowered about 3 inches, so that that truck seat height is the same as my wheelchair cushion. This makes transferring very easy. The extended cab features a 3rd door that opens suicide-style and with the rear jump seats removed there is plenty of space to fold the chair and store it behind the driver's seat. The black leather piece under the door sill protects the rockers from getting all scratched up.

The right angle hand controls are Wells-Engberg CP-200 and required only minor cutting to fit.

Last edited by rshadd; 09-25-2018 at 04:30 PM.
    T12 Complete since 1982. TiLite Tx