Thread: Sweating

Sweating

I‘ve read several posts on the site regarding sweating. For the past week I‘ve been experiencing sweating, and am not aware of any obvious reason. However, I remember reading of one instance where the cause was a pressure sore that had developed underneath, and was not visible yet. How could one check for something like that, or know something like that is occurring?

On another note, for the same period of time, my right hand has felt cold to touch. In the past when I’ve had issues urinating, I’ve noticed a similar response. Perhaps a stone? I have no fevers or chills. I have had increased spasms.
    Last edited by landrover; 09-21-2018 at 07:05 PM.

My hands get cold when I have a UTI, and sometimes the sweats.

Is your blood pressure also elevated? Sweating from AD should be accompanied by blood pressure elevation, usually at least 30mm Hg. over your normal systolic.

Increased spasms can also be a sign of pain someplace. If your blood pressure is also elevated, a systematic search for the cause of the AD-causing pain must be undertaken. 90% of episodes of AD are related to the urinary tract (overdistention of the bladder, stones, UTI, etc.), 8% related to the bowel/gut (constipation, impaction, gall bladder problems, appendicitis, etc.) and the other 2% can be related to any pain causing pathology anywhere in your body. Have you been evaluated for a possible clot causing your cold hand? Fractures? Deep pressure ulcers usually will show some sign such as redness, purplish color or a "hardness" of the tissue over the area. You may need to see your physician to rule out abdominal pathology (ultrasound or CT) and have some labs done, which should include a white blood count, sed rate, and CRP level. This latter non-specific test for inflammation/infection can give a clue for further investigation.

Inappropriate sweating is common in the first year post injury, for unclear reasons. Since that would not apply to you, if your blood pressure is not elevated, then other causes such as a worsening syrinx should be investigated.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 09-21-2018 at 08:19 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I've had sweating for the past four mornings just before getting out of bed. I have a bruised butt cheek and have to avoid it turning into a sore. I know this has something to do with my sweating.

Update: still having the sweats. Took my blood pressure, and it was low. Hand still cold. I do have a pink area on my butt, but I've had sores before, and never had sweats like this. Does the location of the sweating matter? Mine seems to start mid-back, and end at my neck. Again, no fevers, chills.

Edit: I've been wearing an elbow pad on my right arm. It seems a bit tight, so I removed it this morning after wearing it for a couple of hours. I can't imagine that would cause the sweating?
    Last edited by landrover; 09-24-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Did you get checked for a UTI?
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Land Rover:
    Ditto here, getting it on just the left side of my head and shoulders, mostly when I am in bed. Have a healing stage 4 deb on my left trochanter so my immediate thought was that it was a positional issue. Thing is that it's been on a slow (2yr) heal and never previously triggered the sweats....even during the worst period of heal. Now that it's nearing closure the sweats coincide with sensation of pain . When I get rolled to my right hip both the sweats and pain subside. So much for being ASIA A. That said, my wound care visit did not reveal anything other the suggestion for another debriedment with more ACell treatment.
    Add to this, I just went on Augmention for a UTI.
    Go figure, I'll update on my progress after a few days of the antibiotic.

4 days of augmentin and still having sweats.
    Definitely worse during bowel regimen.
    Yuck

I used to sweat when I increased my protein intake
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09