Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J3 wheelchair cushion

J3 wheelchair cushion

I've been looking for a second wheelchair cushion as I need to alternate cushions every few months. I have significant scoliosis, Polio paralysis, and have looked at the specifications for the J3 cushion on-line. It has a base of what looks like firm foam, then in the rear, centered on top of the foam base is gel. The gel is not just a pad of gel but it's described as 'pleats of gel' and that 'pleats expand to accommodate pelvic shape'. The words used for the "gel" is "Jay Flow Fluid", so I'm not sure exactly what that is.
    The information seems to say it will to conform to an irregularly shaped pelvis.

After being pressure mapped I was supplied a loaner gel cushion (Vicair Liberty X) that has the gel pad covering the entire surface of the cushion, laying on top of a firm foam base. Once I'm sitting all day on this cushion the gel forms a "well" and stays there even overnight when I'm not in my chair. This results in most of the gel migrating to all edges of the cushion. The area where I need some comfort becomes kind of flat and uncomfortable, and it seemed ok for about two weeks of sitting.
    I have been using a Vicair Adjuster X which has numerous very small air bags, and about 5 separate compartments to house them. You can add or remove these bags in each compartment as needed.

If anyone has experience with the J3 gel (not the air cell model) cushion I would appreciate any comments!

In my opinion I would not suggest a Jay J3 as a cushion you sat on all day, the gel pad is much more thin than the Jay J2 cushion and I think the J2 would offer much more protection against skin breakdown even though the J2 is more heavy, probably worth it. I use a J2 cushion on my everyday chair and never had any skin breakdown in 37 years. I use a Jay J3 cushion on my sports wheelchair mainly for playing tennis. I really like the J3 cushion but would not sit on it all day.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Thanks for your response. Have not checked out the J2 and will do so. Didn't know the gel part on the J3 was thinner than the J2.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    In my opinion I would not suggest a Jay J3 as a cushion you sat on all day, the gel pad is much more thin than the Jay J2 cushion and I think the J2 would offer much more protection against skin breakdown even though the J2 is more heavy, probably worth it. I use a J2 cushion on my everyday chair and never had any skin breakdown in 37 years. I use a Jay J3 cushion on my sports wheelchair mainly for playing tennis. I really like the J3 cushion but would not sit on it all day.
    same here j2 18 years no sore but I move a lot

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    same here j2 18 years no sore but I move a lot
    Thanks!
    The J2 info says it has "3" pelvic loading". Available in 4.5" height or 2.5". I think the 4.5 might be too high for easy transfers.

Almost 40 years C5/6 quad...Tried lots of cushions over the years, if not too late check out Roho Hybrid Elite. Combo foam front + sides/edges & adjustable firmness air cell for the butt.

The most comfortable I've ever had & still allow for good transfer. Some prefer to cut down/sand their primary transfer side of foam as it's a little firm to be able to keep the air cells in place, but works fine as is for me. I guess age caused me to start having some skin issues about 4 years ago. Found the Roho Hybrid, problem solved & hope they never stop making it!
    Last edited by bjack56; 09-24-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: info added

I am using J2 for 10 years or more. I was looking at J3 too but someone mentioned Supracor Stimulite cushions as very good replacement for J2.
    Now I am thinking to get Supracor Stimulite Contoured Cushion or Stimulite Contoured XS Cushion
    I am not sure which one to get... any recommendations???
    As I am in Toronto, Canada - what would be the best dealer if someone can
    recommend it? Thank you and sorry if I am little bit off the J3 topic...

www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Just a note that after checking numerous cushions I'm going with a new Comfort Company, Vicair Liberty X - that cushion was recommended after I had seating eval.
    After a few weeks using the sample I had been given by the clinic to try out I just recently found that the very small opening to adjust the gel by closing the valve - the valve itself was missing. Perhaps someone else had adjusted this sample/loaner cushion; having sensation, I did not find it comfortable. I didn't know that this cushion comes new with the valve, but after calling the seating service I was provided a web site with a video showing how this cushion is set up, using the valve. Game changer!
    Apparently the user is supposed to sit on it when new, then use the valve to release some air that's part of the gel, so that the gel conforms to their bottom.

[QUOTE=comad;1866226]I am using J2 for 10 years or more. I was looking at J3 too but someone mentioned Supracor Stimulite cushions as very good replacement for J2.
    Now I am thinking to get Supracor Stimulite Contoured Cushion or Stimulite Contoured XS Cushion
    I am not sure which one to get... any recommendations???
    As I am in Toronto, Canada - what would be the best dealer if someone can
    recommend it? Thank you and sorry if I am little bit off the J3 topic...

T
    This was the Canadian distributor. Contact them for a dealer in your area. https://www.physipro.com/en-ca/

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    I've been looking for a second wheelchair cushion as I need to alternate cushions every few months. I have significant scoliosis, Polio paralysis, and have looked at the specifications for the J3 cushion on-line. It has a base of what looks like firm foam, then in the rear, centered on top of the foam base is gel. The gel is not just a pad of gel but it's described as 'pleats of gel' and that 'pleats expand to accommodate pelvic shape'. The words used for the "gel" is "Jay Flow Fluid", so I'm not sure exactly what that is.
    The information seems to say it will to conform to an irregularly shaped pelvis.

After being pressure mapped I was supplied a loaner gel cushion (Vicair Liberty X) that has the gel pad covering the entire surface of the cushion, laying on top of a firm foam base. Once I'm sitting all day on this cushion the gel forms a "well" and stays there even overnight when I'm not in my chair. This results in most of the gel migrating to all edges of the cushion. The area where I need some comfort becomes kind of flat and uncomfortable, and it seemed ok for about two weeks of sitting.
    I have been using a Vicair Adjuster X which has numerous very small air bags, and about 5 separate compartments to house them. You can add or remove these bags in each compartment as needed.

If anyone has experience with the J3 gel (not the air cell model) cushion I would appreciate any comments!
    I have been using a Jay2 for decades, and decided to give the Jay3 a try when I purchased a new chair in 2013. I didn't like it at all, chiefly because of the cover. It fit loose enough over the cushion that it tended overhang on the left and right sides and rub the wheels, unless it was lined up in the center of the chair perfectly - a problem that I had not experienced at all with the older Jay2 on the same chair. If I took the cover off, the bare cushion fit perfectly on the chair, but the cover added a bunch of bulk that hung over into the wheels. Because of this, it was constantly getting wet/dirty.
    One other difference was the cost of replacing the cover, a recurring out-of-pocket expense that my insurance company refused to pay. Because the Jay3 cover had some padding sewn into it under the legs, it was noticeably more expensive than the standard ballistic nylon of the Jay2 cover. It did feel more comfortable under my legs because of this padding, but it was just not worth the extra cost given the other issues.