Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I wish I did this 12 years ago!

Looking back now, your solution of the stiff rubber would have worked a treat.
    Originally I had a length of belt strapping, the type found on strollers etc, that worked well in the same way your solution was applied. The trouble was that it required a 'last moment' closing technique that required some dexterity and good timing when closing the hatch to ensure it wasn't trapped in the boot latch mechanism.
    I was well aware of the potential, and it helped that I was at the correct height, while able bodies weren't and consequently the strap suffered until it was completely stuffed.
    The wire reacher functions well and I do not have to be concerned about damage or loss of, as I am the only one who requires it. A simple foolproof solution- for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fasdude View Post
    I had a 2008 VW R32 that had a drain hole like you or maybe I drilled a small hole I can't really remember. What I do remember is that it didn't noticeably disfigure the car, otherwise I wouldn't have done it. Anyway, I took one of those stiff rubber trucker tie down straps that you often see on the road, which is where I found mine. I hooked one of the ends in the hole and cut the hook at the other end off. It hung down about 24". When lowering the hatch, with about a foot left before closing I would scoot it inside before closing completely. Being made of stiff rubber once it was partially in the trunk area it would keep going inside as you close the hatch. When others would mistakenly close the hatch without scooting it in first, the hatch still closed but my makeshift handle wouldn't hurt the paint. It wasn't pretty but it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Don't see how I could get it to go into the compartment when closing or I'd have done it long ago.
    Just hangs out the back like a tail. If I wanted it inside, I'd put velcro or a magnet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I have the opposite problem in my Bimmer. The trunk doesn't go up like it used to. I used to be able to position the trunk with almost no force and it would stay just where I left it. Or I could give a little extra push upward and it would move the rest of the way up on it's own. It was almost effortless. So nice. Now the trunk only opens as far as I push it then it falls back down if I let go. How do you adjust the piston assembly so it works the way it used to work?
    Get new gas shocks. $10-$20. First you can try silicone spray on the rods of the ones you have, but I doubt that will fix it.
    G