Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A discreet mid-section "spanks" for men?

A discreet mid-section "spanks" for men?

Hey guys,

I started a keto diet a few months ago and have lost almost 28lbs.--almost all of which was belly fat. Now when I lie down, my stomach is almost flat. However sitting in my wheelchair as a T4 SCI, I still have a bit of a belly due especially to the perpetual relaxed state of my abs. So my guts are hanging out, because I have no tone in my ab muscles and now there is some loose skin to add to the issue. I still want to lose another 25lbs which should take care of my remaining belly fat and my large "love handles".

So do any of you know of or have used a "spanks" type garment that does a good job of slimming? I figure if it was tight enough, it might act as a back brace too, because I also have chronic back pain. I was thinking of something highly elasticized that would wrap around my abdominal area with some velcro. The thing is the garment can't be noticeable or I won't wear it.

What you are describing is a 3 or 4 panel Velcro abdominal binder, such as this one. Whether it is noticeable or not depends on what you wear on top. https://www.dalemed.com/product/abdominal-binder/

I would caution you about loosing too much weight too quickly. You are more likely to loose fat (essential for boney padding) in your butt than in your abdomen, which could put you at risk for skin breakdown. What is your current weight, height, or BMI? "Quad Belly" is not caused by excessive belly fat, but as you say, by abdominal wall muscle paralysis.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner! That is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you so much!

I'm 48 years old. My height is 5'6". I was 188lbs a few months back and I'm now 160lbs. When I was 19 at the time of my accident, I was very strong and hard all over, I weighed 145lbs. I was weight training, running full marathons and worked as a labourer for a small bricklaying/masonry company--no fancy machines, everything was done with back braking labour.

If I recall about 7 years ago, we had a health clinic done here at my work and she pinched my skin with some calipers and the measurement came back that I was obese. I had a pretty big beer belly back then too. But at 188lbs, I looked like I was in my 4th trimester. I was skin and bones on my butt before I started the diet, but now that you bring it up, I have noticed that I am even "bonier" back there now. My arms, face and chest are leaner and a bit more defined now too, but a good 90%+ of the weight came off of my belly. Oddly, my legs didn't noticeably shrink much at all. So that is 28lbs. less weight on my bony butt which should also be considered. You have to understand that it would be hard for me to slow down my weight loss progress at this point, because my life has gotten so much easier and better. My transfers are so much cleaner and easier now. My arms got big and strong to lift my big spare tire of a gut and now that the gut is mostly gone, I'm throwing my body around like I was 20 years ago. It really is a night and day difference!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000O...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this is the one I bought about a year back.

has some plastic stiffeners built in that actually work quite well for me as the block some of the pressure points between my back and the wheelchair. Helps suck in my “parabelly” and also helps with some back pain I was having. I use it whenever I have a shirt that’s slightly too small and I don’t want my gut protruding or if my back pain or abdominal spasms are acting up.

binder

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000O...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this is the one I bought about a year back.

has some plastic stiffeners built in that actually work quite well for me as the block some of the pressure points between my back and the wheelchair. Helps suck in my ?parabelly? and also helps with some back pain I was having. I use it whenever I have a shirt that?s slightly too small and I don?t want my gut protruding or if my back pain or abdominal spasms are acting up.

I just got mine in the mail tried it on it tapers down in the front how does this help parabelly seems to just push belly up and down and then it seemed to roll up after a very short time did I get the wrong size?

Quote Originally Posted by Eds View Post
    I just got mine in the mail tried it on it tapers down in the front how does this help parabelly seems to just push belly up and down and then it seemed to roll up after a very short time did I get the wrong size?
    The Dale 4 panel won't do that. Properly applied, it should extend from your pubic bone to just below your front ribs. A 3 panel will be better for someone with a short torso. The Dale ones are latex free, and also can easily accommodate holes cut in them to accommodate SP catheters or ostomy appliances.

https://www.amazon.com/Dale-Medical-...dale+abdominal

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Eds View Post

I used to be 6 feet tall, but now I got some scoliosis, so I’m losing distance between my pelvis and my ribs. The one I linked works for me, going from just below the belt line to just an inch or so below my sternum. Covers some of the ribs on the outside, but it’s not uncomfortable. I don’t have all that much of a belly though, I’m probably 140 pounds and like the OP my stomach is flat when lying flat or doing a pressure relief, it mostly bulges out on the lower abdomen because I don’t have abdominal muscles there.

Thanks Funklab for your contribution. The one that KLD proposed looks to be more "stealth" (which I love), but less effective as a back brace. My home health care store has one in stock that I will try out tomorrow and it's only $50 CAD. If that doesn't pan out I'll look for a more heavy duty back brace like you hyperlinked.

yep same here down 45 lbs since january, maintaining now. concave when laying down, quad gut when sitting. much smaller though. i recommend b4 , during and after pics. i have many, thats where you see the difference big time. ive been looking for gut binder myself
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fasdude View Post
    Thanks Funklab for your contribution. The one that KLD proposed looks to be more "stealth" (which I love), but less effective as a back brace. My home health care store has one in stock that I will try out tomorrow and it's only $50 CAD. If that doesn't pan out I'll look for a more heavy duty back brace like you hyperlinked.
    That's fantastic John. I got the 410 model of the ab binder and I'm pretty satisfied with the purchase. As a small framed person, the 9" tall binder suits me best. In term of wrapping around my body, it's borderline too small right now, but should be ideal in a few weeks time. It does indeed provide the slimming effect that I was looking for (mostly). It discreetly pushes the flesh from the love handles toward the centre ab area, but distributes it nicely between the solar plexus to lower abdomen without producing an unsightly "muffin top" at the top of the binder. I imagine that would probably happen with the back braces I found on amazon. BTW, this garment would fail as a back brace, but I kinda figured that anyway.