Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How to tell if you have a UTI...no symptoms?

All responses are related to the original question. I don't see this as "hijacking". If you want to start a different thread to address questions you don't think were responded to appropriately, you are free to do so.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    So I had the urodynamics test done and my bladder only holds 68ml before it spasms and voids on its own. Keep in mind this is with no meds/botox and 7 years post injury. Years ago it was around 400-500ml while taking oxybutynin. My urologist said the pressure levels were fine and there are no issues with my kidneys. I also had a urinalysis done the same day and it came back clean. He didn't recommend doing botox anymore since it only last 1-2 months. He said I'm ok to keep using the leg bag and cathing twice a day (every 12 hours). If I get frequent UTI's then we will need to take a different route. He said reusing condom catheters up to 2 days is fine. So I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and try to avoid UTI's. Cranberry pills and drinking water are about all I do for preventative maintenance. Is that enough, or are there better alternatives?
    Sorry, I meant to write some comments when you posted this, but I got busy with other things and never got back to this post.

The evidence and opinions about taking cranberry supplements are really mixed. From what I have read over the years, it is about 50% for use of these supplements and 50% they don't do anything. I used to take them religiously with breakfast and dinner. I stopped taking them about 4 years ago and haven't noticed any difference in frequency of urinary tract infections. That is to say that I wasn't getting many infections when I was taking them and I'm not getting infections now that I've stopped.

There is some thought that taking d mannose supplements is helpful in helping to prevent e.coli bacteria caused urinary tract infections. https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...1114/d-mannose
    If you have records of the bacteria responsible for your urinary tract infections and see a pattern that e. coli is frequent...this supplement may be helpful to you.

"Fuentejps" has posted about gentamicin bladder flushes to help prevent urinary tract infections: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ght=gentamicin

I've posted about Microcyn instillations to help prevent urinary tract infections . There is a lot of discussion here: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/newrepl...eply&p=1866926 and if you search the forum for Microcyn you will get a lot more discussions.

Hope those thoughts help.
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-15-2018 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    All responses are related to the original question. I don't see this as "hijacking". If you want to start a different thread to address questions you don't think were responded to appropriately, you are free to do so.

(KLD)
    This thread was about how to tell if you have a UTI with no symptoms. I don't think the comment that was made (and literally started with "not to hijack the thread") about problems leaking from a SP was relevant to the thread (as that would be a symptom). It seemed like a separate issue, maybe I read it the wrong way. However, once I posted an update and the off topic comments were continuing to be answered, I felt like that wasn't fair to me. It also makes it harder for anyone who is searching for issue about SP to find them buried inside other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Sorry, I meant to write some comments when you posted this, but I got busy with other things and never got back to this post.

The evidence and opinions about taking cranberry supplements are really mixed. From what I have read over the years, it is about 50% for use of these supplements and 50% they don't do anything. I used to take them religiously with breakfast and dinner. I stopped taking them about 4 years ago and haven't noticed any difference in frequency of urinary tract infections. That is to say that I wasn't getting many infections when I was taking them and I'm not getting infections now that I've stopped.

There is some thought that taking d mannose supplements is helpful in helping to prevent e.coli bacteria caused urinary tract infections. https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...1114/d-mannose
    If you have records of the bacteria responsible for your urinary tract infections and see a pattern that e. coli is frequent...this supplement may be helpful to you.

"Fuentejps" has posted about gentamicin bladder flushes to help prevent urinary tract infections: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ght=gentamicin

I've posted about Microcyn instillations to help prevent urinary tract infections . There is a lot of discussion here: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/newrepl...eply&p=1866926 and if you search the forum for Microcyn you will get a lot more discussions.

Hope those thoughts help.
    Thank you, I will check out those links.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    This thread was about how to tell if you have a UTI with no symptoms. I don't think the comment that was made (and literally started with "not to hijack the thread") about problems leaking from a SP was relevant to the thread (as that would be a symptom). It seemed like a separate issue, maybe I read it the wrong way. However, once I posted an update and the off topic comments were continuing to be answered, I felt like that wasn't fair to me. It also makes it harder for anyone who is searching for issue about SP to find them buried inside other threads.
    Sorry about that. I should have started a new thread.