Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to tell if you have a UTI...no symptoms?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It is discussed in the clinical practice guideline on bladder management in SCI:

https://www.pva.org/CMSPages/GetFile...b-9c557bc21b34

Have you been evaluated for prostatitis by your urologist?

(KLD)
    Thanks for the information. I have not been evaluated for prostatitis.

So I had the urodynamics test done and my bladder only holds 68ml before it spasms and voids on its own. Keep in mind this is with no meds/botox and 7 years post injury. Years ago it was around 400-500ml while taking oxybutynin. My urologist said the pressure levels were fine and there are no issues with my kidneys. I also had a urinalysis done the same day and it came back clean. He didn't recommend doing botox anymore since it only last 1-2 months. He said I'm ok to keep using the leg bag and cathing twice a day (every 12 hours). If I get frequent UTI's then we will need to take a different route. He said reusing condom catheters up to 2 days is fine. So I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and try to avoid UTI's. Cranberry pills and drinking water are about all I do for preventative maintenance. Is that enough, or are there better alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Thanks for the information. I have not been evaluated for prostatitis.
    ou have to ask for that psa bloodtest. they are hesitant to do them for some reason.
    i had my yearly done last week, and i asked for all bloodwork be done, including psa
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    ou have to ask for that psa bloodtest. they are hesitant to do them for some reason.
    i had my yearly done last week, and i asked for all bloodwork be done, including psa
    I will ask them to do the psa blood test.

Regular checks of PSA are somewhat controversial, but in men with SCI, it is recommended as they may not have other signs/symptoms of prostate cancer, and, it can also be elevated in those with chronic prostatitis, to which they are subject. Discuss this further with your urologist if your PCP appears reluctant to include this in your annual blood tests after the age of 40.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Medicare covers a digital rectal exam and a PSA once a year.

Just finished my 10 days of Invanz today. How long should I wait to submit my specimen to be tested 2-3 days?
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 10-13-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Usually 3 days.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Usually 3 days.

(KLD)
    Thanks

I didn't say anything the first time about hijacking this thread, but I have since given an update and asked a question...in my own thread...and there have been 7 responses that have nothing to do with my question. Aside from it being inconsiderate, it's more helpful to everyone when topics are separated. I'm surprised the nurses are continuing to reply and not suggest a new thread be made.
    Last edited by Brad09; 10-14-2018 at 05:37 PM.