Thread: Getting new TiLite Areo Z few questions

Getting new TiLite Areo Z few questions

I have have been in a chair since 86 from a car accident. T-7 complete. I have had multiple surgeries and am now fused from T-3 to my pelvis. This has really limited my transfers. Anyway, I am on somewhat of a budget and have to pay a considerable amount out-of-pocket, so I am limiting options. I just ordered my first TiLite Areo Z chair. I am a wide body at 200lbs (on a diet; lost 8lbs so far) so it is 18x15. My questions are concerning seat and wheels. I have been using a solid insert under my Roho which I really like. I ordered the chair with the aluminum solid seat. However, I have read that it is heavy. I have been trying to find how much it weighs, but have come up empty. I have been reading on CareCure community that many are using the carbon fiber and recommend it. I have seen a link to where to purchase, but I wouldn?t know what thickness I would need, or how to install it. Do you think I should change my order to no seat and purchase the carbon fiber?

My other question is about wheels. Spinergy?s are a bit pricey. I see Dino?s recommend. I have also found Sun Fusion 16?s. Any recommendations or should I just stay with the standard shipping TiLite wheels? It does seem they all weight about the same, so I am thinking maybe just say with stock wheels.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Mark

Are you paying for the chair yourself? I was able to get spinergy carbon blade as part of a deal through spinlife and I *love* them. Could not have paid full price for them. I hope you like your new chair. I would suggest maybe ordering a bit snug with side guards if you are losing weight. I have side guards so don't need to worry about being rubbed and I really like having a smaller chair vs a wider chair with clearance for the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by JessME2018 View Post
    Are you paying for the chair yourself? I was able to get spinergy carbon blade as part of a deal through spinlife and I *love* them. Could not have paid full price for them. I hope you like your new chair. I would suggest maybe ordering a bit snug with side guards if you are losing weight. I have side guards so don't need to worry about being rubbed and I really like having a smaller chair vs a wider chair with clearance for the wheels.
    Thanks JessME2018, I have an Atnea Medicare advantage plan that helps pay. I just don?t know how much yet. I agree with you about the width of the chair. I am currently in a 17? wide Q7, but it has an 18? camber tube. I saw that deal on spinlife as well. My best financial way of getting a new chair is using a DM in network company and paying 20% of the negotiated network charge and paying cash for upgrades. I can get the fusion 16s online for $312. I just don?t know if I should or just stay with what ships on the chair. My other deal with the added weight of the solid seat concerns me as my shoulders are starting to feel the pain. I hope someone can shead a little light on that for me. Thanks again.

Do you think getting a new chair now might be a bad idea? If you intend to lose significant weight, you may be too big for your chair. Just a thought.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I am a newbie and have been in a ZRA for 4 months now. The stock Tilite Shadow wheels are not terrible by any means. With that said I bought a pair of Carbon Blades and I like them a lot. You can feel the difference in weight and also in ride quality, because of the PBO spokes the wheels just absorb shock better....it is noticeable.

Something else I want to mention. I will bet your dealer will push the Marathons, I have them on my Shadows but went with Right Runs on my Carbon blades. The Marathons feel like I am pushing my chair through tar. I did have an issues where one of the Right Runs developed a pretty sizable bubble, on taking them off the tire had delaminated on the inside. I am now using Primo Racers and they are very similar to the Right Runs performance wise but look a lot better made. I have only had them on my chair for two weeks so that is all I can tell you about them.

Cheers,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    Do you think getting a new chair now might be a bad idea? If you intend to lose significant weight, you may be too big for your chair. Just a thought.
    Good thought. I do plan on dropping at least 20 to 30 lbs. That is the weight I was when I purchased my current Q7 with a 17" frame, but with an 18" axel. I spoke with a therapist who measured me about the weight loss because my insurance requires that, and they still think I should be in an 18". I am not locked into the order yet, so I may go with the 17. It is a tough decision. Thank you for your thought.

Hey Jim, you are right, they are pushing me towards the marathon. The reason I was thinking about those is because I live on, what I call a small farm, and there are a lot of thorns in the grass. When I first moved out here I had primo V's and was getting flat tires every week. I am also looking at the primo sentinel. Thanks for your thoughts. On the Carbon Blades, I just can't afford those. The do look awesome with a great ride offering.

I wouldn't choose the 18" axle. You can always widen one but never narrow it!
    You'll find that with some 1/2" copper water pipe you can fine-tune your track by cutting it with a tubing cutter EZ-FLO 45027 Tubing Cutter$13.73Amazon.com
    readjusting your axles, and sliding the collar you've made onto the axles. Two half inch collars makes a 17 an 18" axle.
    If the nuts on your axle/pin need to come too far to do this, then get longer ones. This is a little expense, but permanently leaves you able to poach the track in or out. I've run +1/2" spacers this way forever with no problem. I'm 200lbs and drop off 10" curbs sometimes.

Another nice thing, if you have longer axles, you can make several pair of collars of different thicknesses, [3/4 1/4] [9/16, 7/16], [1/2, 1/2] The release button will now stick out and be easier to deal with and you will be able to swap each set around to get +0, or either of the two thicknesses. You could even put them both inside for two inch track gain but I wouldn't feel good about going out so far unsupported.
    If your axle has 2* camber, the button will be well inside the protection of the push-rims (won't foul things).
    Of course, you can just run a single spacer; once you have the axle length adjusted, you can put it on either side depending on need. Another benefit: when you find that opening that's a little too small, you can swop the spacers to get narrow.

Regarding punctures: I worked at my auto shop for 22 years in a chair. We did a lot of welding/fabricating and inevitably a steel splinter would get in the tread until it punctured the tube. I got liners at the bike shop that go inside the tire, under the tread which 95% eliminated flats.
    Last edited by pfcs49; 09-20-2018 at 07:28 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ