Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Valium

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    It is a sad, sad, sad situation that we have to deal with an agency's "Big Brother" approach to our personal care. Just sad!
    It is very sad!

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    Anybody remember when the Government said that everybody should have a 6 months extra supply in case of a national emergency?
    Might have been 3 months but I thought it was 6. Now your lucky to get 30day or 90 day supply. If or when we have a national emergency a lot of people who can't get there medicine will die.

Over the last 40 years, our country has fought a full-on, no-holds-barred battle with drug addiction and the government has done everything in their power to abolish the supply of illegal drugs into the U.S. Strangely enough, the drug that continues to kill more people than anything on the street is completely legal (assuming you’re of age) and has very few restrictions on usage. That’s right, alcohol kills more than drugs. Alcohol kills more than any illegal drug out there today, and unfortunately, many addicts still see it as a safe alternative to illegal drug use. I got this from Google search.
    Now when I need a new script I have to go to my dr. Before the dr would send the script in without seeing me and that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    You don't have to get drug tested for valium even though you may get addictive to it after years of use. Drugs that are prescribed by a pain management doctor like opiums you get drug tested for.

Ti
    Ok I see what you're saying.

Just a correction: having a physical dependence on a drug, be it an opioid or sedative or hypnotic is NOT the same as being addicted.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Just a correction: having a physical dependence on a drug, be it an opioid or sedative or hypnotic is NOT the same as being addicted.

(KLD)
    KLD,

What is the medical difference between dependent on a drug and addictive to a drug?

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    KLD,

What is the medical difference between dependent on a drug and addictive to a drug?

Ti
    im not KLD, but I’ve got an answer.

as you’ve pointed out above, anyone who has taken Valium for 27 years is going to be physically dependent on it and experience withdrawal, possibly seizures and death if they go without it suddenly.

HACKNSACK obviously doesn’t have an addiction. If he did he wouldn’t be taking 1 or 2 pills per day. He would lose control of how much he was taking, even though he ran out early. He would neglect his roles as husband, friend, brother, etc to stay home and use more Valium. He would have seizures from running out early, but continue to use too much when he got his next prescription, despite knowing r would be likely to have another seizure. He would neglect other activities in order to stay home and get high on Valium.

addiction (or substance use disorder as is the most recent terminology) is essentially a harmful pattern of behavior related to using a drug.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If you self administered only, then I suspect they wouldn't care. Sadly, drug diversion by health care professionals is rampant in hospitals and home care.
    (KLD)
    To follow up on this comment, "Hacensack44," would you be capable of administering your own Valium, if some one, like a friend or relative, could fill accessible pill boxes with the doses of Valium you are supposed to take a day. In this way, the Valium could be hidden away from the nurses and you could take the doses when they are not around. Personally, I hate to see nurses taking time out of caring for you (time that you are paying for) to do agency required monitoring. Accurately counting a new prescription of 270 tiny Valium pills is time consuming.

For instance, NL fills containers like this with my afternoon pills. This makes it possible for me to take my medication without having to ask her to help. I am C6/7, so with a fork or a spoon in my universal cuff, I can hold the dispenser down with one hand and flip the lid open with the utensil in the other hand. These are pretty inexpensive. There are pill dispensers on the market that are much more expensive and sophisticated that would allow you to dispense your own doses of Valium.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

what do they use to count the meds, do they bring in a sterile pharmacy counting tray and sorting stick? Or do they use the same tray /tools with all their clients. If the later refuse on cross contamination grounds. I agree with the others, find some way to keep them out of your meds. I would worry about them stealing your meds. ASk for a copy of this rule,requirement and see if it is from the state govt and applies to you. The fact that you have been doing this fine for 28 years, may allow your doctor to refuse the VNS access to your meds. I agree with whoever mentioned that we need to prepare for distribution breakdown due to natural disaster, weather, terrorist attack. I remember sept 11 aftermath i was waiting for a catheter shipment and my pain meds were in that special narco class, i was unable to get them for over a week. You should always be able to figure out how many pills you are supposed to have left, stash the light day pills in a safe place , so if they do a count you never have any extras in the bottle.
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    To follow up on this comment, "Hacensack44," would you be capable of administering your own Valium, if some one, like a friend or relative, could fill accessible pill boxes with the doses of Valium you are supposed to take a day. In this way, the Valium could be hidden away from the nurses and you could take the doses when they are not around. Personally, I hate to see nurses taking time out of caring for you (time that you are paying for) to do agency required monitoring. Accurately counting a new prescription of 270 tiny Valium pills is time consuming.

For instance, NL fills containers like this with my afternoon pills. This makes it possible for me to take my medication without having to ask her to help. I am C6/7, so with a fork or a spoon in my universal cuff, I can hold the dispenser down with one hand and flip the lid open with the utensil in the other hand. These are pretty inexpensive. There are pill dispensers on the market that are much more expensive and sophisticated that would allow you to dispense your own doses of Valium.
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I am not able to do that. I'm C3/4. 100% dependent on my caregivers.

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    what do they use to count the meds, do they bring in a sterile pharmacy counting tray and sorting stick? Or do they use the same tray /tools with all their clients. If the later refuse on cross contamination grounds. I agree with the others, find some way to keep them out of your meds. I would worry about them stealing your meds. ASk for a copy of this rule,requirement and see if it is from the state govt and applies to you. The fact that you have been doing this fine for 28 years, may allow your doctor to refuse the VNS access to your meds. I agree with whoever mentioned that we need to prepare for distribution breakdown due to natural disaster, weather, terrorist attack. I remember sept 11 aftermath i was waiting for a catheter shipment and my pain meds were in that special narco class, i was unable to get them for over a week. You should always be able to figure out how many pills you are supposed to have left, stash the light day pills in a safe place , so if they do a count you never have any extras in the bottle.
    They were told this week that they had to start counting them. I asked them how they were going to do this and the nurses were not sure. So I am waiting to hear from the agency.