Thread: disrupting wheelchair design : distributed wheelchair design and manufacture

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

disrupting wheelchair design : distributed wheelchair design and manufacture

Be sure to watch both the videos

https://www.disruptdisability.org
    Last edited by NW-Will; 09-23-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Should read disrupting wheelchair design... intersting options they're introducing

Blog Entries
    Interesting; I certainly appreciate their effort and ideas, and hope they succeed, but the narrative that options don't exist, and that custom fitting and design isn't already a thing, is kinda bullshit. A number of attempts at "reinventing the wheel"-chair haven't met with much success, in large part because the most common design is very effective and adaptable without needing to be overly complex, expensive, and unwieldy.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    Should read disrupting wheelchair design... intersting options they're introducing

Those were my thoughts initially, but the more I watched and read I started to be seduced by the idea of being able to add parts that would fit directly into a modular design. The idea of individuals being able to build parts that work for them and share them so others could share them or build improve on them. Especially as the capabilities of 3D printing etc become easier, cheaper and more accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Interesting; I certainly appreciate their effort and ideas, and hope they succeed, but the narrative that options don't exist, and that custom fitting and design isn't already a thing, is kinda bullshit. A number of attempts at "reinventing the wheel"-chair haven't met with much success, in large part because the most common design is very effective and adaptable without needing to be overly complex, expensive, and unwieldy.

Seems like they're starting from the assumption that all wheelchair users have core muscles and trunk stability based on the seating examples. I'd pay a small fortune for a chair that included that feature!
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Christian Bagg envisioned this many years ago with the Stryker Sorano. When they developed the Icon A1, Christian and Jeff Adams incorporated the concept of using modularity to be able to quickly reconfigure their chair for different contexts of use. Definitely not a new idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Christian Bagg envisioned this many years ago with the Stryker Sorano. When they developed the Icon A1, Christian and Jeff Adams incorporated the concept of using modularity to be able to quickly reconfigure their chair for different contexts of use. Definitely not a new idea.
    Not a new idea and also not a spectacularly successful one either. I think there is a flaw in the premise that we're suffering for a lack of modularity. It's a fine idea, to be sure, but the chair using population is already a small market. Mize hit on this, and I think this idea also assumes a level of activity that just isn't predominant in the chair using community. Some of us are super active or athletic and could benefit from a single chair that could reconfigure for multiple activity purposes, but, in all honesty, most of us just need something simple, well fit, reasonbly light enough for transfers, and durable. There are benefits to modularity, I recognize that, but it's not a huge hole in our lives that needs a 'revolution' to 'disrupt' the industry. That idea ignores the reality of what I think most chair users need out of their chairs. I don't think they're gonna disrupt much, but might help fill a niche for some folks.