Thread: Working for Home Depot

Working for Home Depot

Hello, new user here. I am getting to a place where I can work again and there?s a Home Depot near me and their website seems to be pretty accommodating for disabled employees. I have considering applying there to begin the process of working again after my injury. Transportation will be easy. I do only have 1 functioning arm with no finger or wrist movement. I wasn wondering if anyone here has ever worked for them. I do have IHSS and do get a monthly check from the state (SSDI?) how much can I work without losing benefits.

SSDI is a federal program. Are you getting state disability (short term) or Worker's Comp?

Suggest you do some searching here about the Ticket to Work Program through SSDI if you are indeed getting money from this federal program. Your local ILC (Independent Living Center) may have an advisor to help you with this. You can also work with the state DOR (Dept. of Rehab).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajtut View Post
    Hello, new user here. I am getting to a place where I can work again and there?s a Home Depot near me and their website seems to be pretty accommodating for disabled employees. I have considering applying there to begin the process of working again after my injury. Transportation will be easy. I do only have 1 functioning arm with no finger or wrist movement. I wasn wondering if anyone here has ever worked for them. I do have IHSS and do get a monthly check from the state (SSDI?) how much can I work without losing benefits.
    home depot is very friendly I have a friend that is a quad c6c7 that works for them since 97 he has gone from a inbound appt maker to corp traffic in the towers they are a great company

Sorry correction it’s SSI got the initials mixed up

SSDI and SSI are both federal programs. To qualify for SSDI you have to have worked a certain number of quarters (usually 40) during which you paid into SS. SSI is for those who don't have that work history. Your profile doesn't state your age, so I assume you are quite young. Ticket-to-Work is available for both SSDI and SSI recipients.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You can also work with the state DOR (Dept. of Rehab).

(KLD)
    Definitely look into this.

http://www.dor.ca.gov/Vocational-Rehabilitation.html

Click that link, find your local office and make an appointment. Do it right now. You have no excuse.

Even if you have a job lined up, vocational rehab can help you with training, adaptive equipment, etc, etc. Worst case scenario you waste a couple hours going and meeting with them and they say they can't help you.

Eight years ago I wandered into a Vocational Rehab office asking if they could possibly help pay for a manual standing wheelchair to help me go to graduate school and they offered to pay all of my tuition, give me a monthly stipend and pay for all my books (oh, and they also immediately agreed to pay for the standing wheelchair). I estimate I have about $150,000 less in debt (it was a long expensive path) once you compound the interest compared to if I had blown off people's advice to go check them out. I could have done it all on my own, but not having a soul crushing amount of debt makes me feel much less anxious about the future (and is quite rare in my profession). I definitely got the feeling that VR was happy to help people with "obvious" disabilities, like being in a wheelchair, because it seemed most of the other disabled persons in their office were there for invisible disabilities and were quite able bodied with all of their faculties intact.

But to answer your original question, you can make up to $1700/ month and still receive SSDI.

$1180 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalmike View Post
    But to answer your original question, you can make up to $1700/ month and still receive SSDI.
    No. You can make up to $1180 per month/$1970 per month if are blind and still receive SSDI. On your 9 month trail period you can make as much as you want but after 9 months you have to call Social Security and tell them you are working full-time and stop SSDI checks.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."