Thread: Colostomy/rectum stump mucus complications help!

Colostomy/rectum stump mucus complications help!

I had a colostomy surgery and a circumferencial hemorrhoid removal from my rectum last August. Since then my rectum has scarred so we have to digitally stimulate to keep it open so any mucus can escape and not harden. Well, it hasn?t escaped and is currently hardened into a giant piece shaped like stool. But because of the scarring it cannot escape. It is causing terrible AD when we tried an enema and dig stim. My doctors aren?t getting back to me and the er sent me home. Help! Anyone else experience anything like this?

two years post colostomy, I started having intermittent but often mucosal discharges which included blood?
    They were a smelly mess that resulted in wearing diapers for a year while I consulted with three GI docs who prescribed several remedies, none of which helped.
    Finally in 2017, I had the leftover colon and as much of the rectum as could be excised orthoscopically removed. Minimal odorless mucous still exudes but is not horribly bothersome.
    I would think that unless every vestige of the bowel to the rectum is removed, you must maintain an opening. In my case, anything generated inside comes outside without intervention
    My surgeon mentioned that he could excise everything with conventional surgery but my recovery would be the same as from a flap surgery, i.e.: a month or two in a Clinitron bed!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I will let others who have true experience in this answer. In the meantime, have you looked at the Ostomy Guidelines put out by the WOCN association?

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.