Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kuschall employs formula 1 to perfect 'world's lightest wheelchair'

Kuschall employs formula 1 to perfect 'world's lightest wheelchair'

Wonder what this will cost??

https://www.designboom.com/design/ku...mploys+formula

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    Wow.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Thanks for sharing KLD!

That is a beautiful chair for sure and it is nice to see some R&D in terms of wheelchairs but I doubt it's affordable, practical and something that will be feasible for producing in my lifetime

I wonder how many eons it will take to pass all the testing and become an approved mobility aid?

Still it is nice to see and dream.

Still it is nice to

Kuschall has several models which are available only in Europe, so even if this model eventually goes into production I wouldn't automatically assume that it will be available for purchase in the US.

Looks great. The use of a rectangular frame is thinking outside the box. I'm not so sure that the material has to be as strong as the claim they make but, why not. Just would seem to add to the price I would imagine.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Makes more sense to put it on the coffee table to admire s artwork.

How will it hold up? Does it need to be painted?

Interesting, as yesterday I read an article that carbon fiber may be on its way out because its so expensive and labor (high skill level) intensive, and its difficult to repair.

That chair is a game changer. It's beautiful and light. I agree though that it will probably never see mass production at an affordable price and probably not distributed in North America. My first chair in 1989 was a Quickie GPV--a solid "tank" of a chair that the Rehab centre recommended for me. It was popular and highly adjustable for a new SCI. My second chair about 3 years later was a Kuschall Champion. If the GPV was a tank, the Kuschall was a sports car. It was light with a ground breaking design--the first L shaped frame I ever saw. I really loved that chair! The quality of construction was far superior to Quickie. It was a lot faster and much more responsive than the GPV ever was--a night and day difference. As a bonus, it was way easier to transfer it in and out of my car's back seat. It wasn't long before everyone that could afford a good chair in our WC basketball league was getting one. The only downside is that it costed about 1k to 2k more than popular chairs of that time. Poor people or people on public assistance couldn't afford one which was unfair.

As we're all well aware, insurance rarely and only stubbornly covers the cost of titanium frame chairs. In these dystopian times it's not hard to imagine when someday insurance won't even cover aluminum frame chairs in favor of corrugated cardboard. The current better known carbon fiber chairs such as the Panthera X and the Carbon Black are fairly rare sightings. Carbon Black seems to have changed management (if not ownership) multiple times and they were recently open-palming for capital heavily over Facebook. All this to say -- and agree with the consensus here -- that while this new Kuschall Carbene chair has many in the wheeler crowd drooling (and let's pause to marvel at how many adapt well enough to their injury to then become excited over cool-looking chairs!) it's likely to never be owned by anyone who doesn't have lots of disposable income.