Thread: UTI with cough?

UTI with cough?

Sadly, my four year antibiotic-free lifestyle might be coming to an end.

I have typical UTI symptoms: cloudiness, discharge, incontinence, elevated temperature usually in the mid 99s. It's been going on for about a day and a half and has been about the same for a day.

The odd thing is at the same time I developed a very slight cough.

I feel pretty good actually, not like a typical UTI. Slight chill, slight fatigue/weakness, but overall fine.

I'm not sure what's going on. Could this be something else? Some sort of mild flu?

Or coincidence - that there is a cough and a UTI at the same time? I haven't decided whether and when to finally take antibiotics, which mess up my digestion for a long time.

I'd call a doctor but I only ever seem to get sick on nights and weekends

UTIs present in bizarre ways for a myriad of reasons. Another non-UTI issue, can draw from your body's resistance and elevate your colonization count because your body is fighting multiple issues. Go see your doctor while you feel well enough to and drop off a urine sample for a culture.
    Last edited by Patton57; 09-15-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    Sadly, my four year antibiotic-free lifestyle might be coming to an end.

I have typical UTI symptoms: cloudiness, discharge, incontinence, elevated temperature usually in the mid 99s. It's been going on for about a day and a half and has been about the same for a day.

The odd thing is at the same time I developed a very slight cough.

I feel pretty good actually, not like a typical UTI. Slight chill, slight fatigue/weakness, but overall fine.

I'm not sure what's going on. Could this be something else? Some sort of mild flu?

Or coincidence - that there is a cough and a UTI at the same time? I haven't decided whether and when to finally take antibiotics, which mess up my digestion for a long time.

I'd call a doctor but I only ever seem to get sick on nights and weekends
    You don't just decide to take an antibiotic. An antibiotic should only be taken when it is ordered by your physician based on the results of a urinalysis (UA) culture & sensitivity (C&S). The C&S will give the physician options of antibiotics to use based upon the bacteria's sensitivity to the antibiotics tested. If you live in the United States (profile doesn't include your location), most doctors have an after hours service, with a physician on call who can order tests on weekends and at night or you might go to an urgent care facility.

Sigh, all the symptoms are getting worse, temp at 101.5, messy leakage, cough too worse. Last time temp got this high it kept rising and I did have to be hospitalized, six years ago. If I call the on-call doc I’m pretty sure based on past experience I’ll just get told to go to the ER, but where I live the ER is a disturbing place: my rule is that if I’m well enough to get to the ER without an ambulance, I’m too well to go. Also not sure I can even afford another hospitalization, I was just at the hospital last month! Also the on-call doc isn’t going to want to be woken up in the middle of the night/morning. Oh well. I’ll take Tylenol and call the on-call doc in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    Sigh, all the symptoms are getting worse, temp at 101.5, messy leakage, cough too worse. Last time temp got this high it kept rising and I did have to be hospitalized, six years ago. If I call the on-call doc I’m pretty sure based on past experience I’ll just get told to go to the ER, but where I live the ER is a disturbing place: my rule is that if I’m well enough to get to the ER without an ambulance, I’m too well to go. Also not sure I can even afford another hospitalization, I was just at the hospital last month! Also the on-call doc isn’t going to want to be woken up in the middle of the night/morning. Oh well. I’ll take Tylenol and call the on-call doc in the morning.
    Sorry to hear this is getting worse. You've got a long day ahead of you. And the worry of having a urinary tract infection go septic. Good luck.
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-16-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Same boat xsf .. for about a week now. Broken power chair and my manual needs the tire changing. Ha! Wheeeeeee!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Get seen by someone. Go to Urgent care if you need to. Your symptoms are getting worse and while I can not tell you whether it is a uti or uri, it needs to be treated. If you want to avoid hospitalization, GO!
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

By Sunday evening my temp was up to 103 degrees, I was too weak to transfer, and I had to call EMS.

The hospital was the usual frustrating experience. By the end of just two days I was frazzled, smelly, and exhausted. Fortunately my doctor let me home a day early where I could get some sleep and recover.

SCI patients were an afterthought. When I asked if they had a padded toilet seat they looked at me like I’d requested a space shuttle.

The one good thing is that I came in with a cough so they wanted to test for flu, which takes a while. That meant I got a private room, which was much nicer and safer than a double. There was a lot less traffic in and out, less chance of nosocomial infection, and I could at least get some sleep sometimes. Oh and the diagnosis was the old cliche, klebsiella. My urologist figured the stress of the bowel obstruction six weeks back weakened my immune system.

Edit: temperature is normal but even now, 4 days after being discharged from the hospital, I'm extremely fatigued.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 09-22-2018 at 07:40 PM.