Thread: Looking for SCSC Accredited rehab in West.

Looking for SCSC Accredited rehab in West.

Hello All, I met a new injury at our local hosp. He broke his back 10 weeks ago and was sent to Harborview in Seattle for surgery. He came back to our hometown, Bellingham, Washington, for rehab ( I think that's the scenario). His wife found a large pressure ulcer that was caused by Harbourview never turning him. I'm furious that a SCI Specialized hosp. would not follow common protocol procedures to ensure this from happening. He has spent weeks in a Clinitron bed healing it up enough to start the next phase in his recovery in a couple weeks.

Our local hosp. In=Patient rehab is closing down this month and they will be sending the rehabs to one of their satellite centers once it's finished in 2019. For me it's just as well as this man should be in a specialized rehab setting.

Obviously I don't feel he should go back to Harborview or U of Washington for rehab due to their negligence already. His insurance is above par so should qualify for any rehab setting. He has family in Oregon so was considering OHSU possibly. He has a son in Oregon so would be easier on the family. He also has connections in San Diego. He served in the Marines. I'm not sure of the qualifications to go to the Seattle VA.

I've suggested Craig, Rancho Amigo etc. Looking for suggestions for West Coast or something west of Colorado. He is a T/6 in great condition and positive attitude.

I mentioned I would be posting here and will send him the thread for his information. Thanks!
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 09-13-2018 at 11:44 PM.

You can search for a CARF accredited SCSC here:

http://www.carf.org/advancedProviderSearch.aspx

How long was he in the Marines, and did he have an honorable discharge? If so, he is eligible for VA SCI Center care, such as at the Seattle VAMC. He should contact a PVA National Service Officer to help him apply for benefits and either inpatient or outpatient services. The one is Seattle can be contacted here:

SCI Office, Seattle

1660 S. Columbian Way, Rm 1-B-163
    Seattle, WA, 98108

Phone: 206-768-5415

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

If he doesn’t need to be inpatient for care, Neuroworx in SLC is really excellent.

I think that given the scenario you described, he has not had any rehab at this point. I would strongly suggest one of the SCI centers mentioned above. Not only will he get more intensive therapy, but he will also be around other people in similar situations. His family will benefit from this also.
    The best of luck to him and his family.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks so much. He hasn't had any rehab to speak of so far. They're doing the rudimentary stuff but needs to go to more intensive rehab. so he doesn't end up where he is again.

He should sue for that pressure sore, unacceptable.

I Agree Jim. Totally unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    He should sue for that pressure sore, unacceptable.
    I agree. I do a lot of expert witnessing for cases like this, and he should expect a significant settlement. One of the cases I worked on included in the settlement a requirement that all the nursing staff at the hospital concerned undergo 8 hours of education/training on pressure injury prevention.

(KLD)