Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to treat UTI

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Profile on Care Cure Community indicates that the poster is a female, Edie, probably not Eddie...

Complicated urinary tract infections in the spinal cord injury community are typically treated with a 12 -14 day course of an antibiotic identified by a culture & sensitivity.

Poster identifies as living in Los Angeles, "neck of the woods."

Agree that the poster may need an new urologist, if that is who is giving her advise...but she probably needs to see an infectious disease doctor who his much more capable of modulating antibiotic treatment than an primary care or urology physician.
    Surely it's not a urologist prescribing 3 days of cipro and not ordering a culture.

My bad on not reading the profile.

Quote Originally Posted by EdieP View Post
    Thanks so much for your advice. I'm doing culture in the morning. And will see if I can wait the 72 hours or start taking a wide spectrum antibiotic. Is Cipro considered wide spectrum? My doctor gave me a 3-day course of that.
    Cipro and Macrobid are both fairly specific to urinary tract infections. Back when I was in UTI hell, my urologist would prescribe Keflex if I was running a fever and had severe chills. But he would always ask if I could just take Tylenol and tough it out til the C&S was complete. Many times doing nothing was just not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Surely it's not a urologist prescribing 3 days of cipro and not ordering a culture.
    If the urologist is SCI or neurogenic bladder naive, it’s extremely possible. In my experience, it’s probable. I do a 160 mile RT to see a knowledgeable urologist on the advice of my PCP who is part of an academic medical center practice. It’s a little unsettling to have a doctor tell you to avoid their colleagues. Thanks to being plenty naive my ownself, everything I’ve got is multidrug resistant and local labs toss any sample that grows more than one strain of bacteria, so - yeah.

It's true. I'm female. It's "Edie" short for Edith, not Eddie. Common mistake.

My doctor is a young physiatrist who specializes in SCI. He was my doctor in rehab for a brief spell and I really liked him because he would take time to explain things. Lately though, I've grown suspect. He's too pill happy and when I have problems, rather than take a common sense approach, I get sent off on millions of tests, x-rays, etc. and then put on some new Rx that usually doesn't solve the problem. The fact that he was willing to put me on the Cipro so quickly has me even more concerned. Especially since he's aware of the havoc that the last go-round reeked on my gut. I'm still suffering this intolerable bloating 5 months later.

Anyway. I'm trying to tough it out. Got the culture done yesterday. Only 48 hours to go...

I haven't brought any of this up with my urologist. Perhaps I should? Thanks again for weighing in and the advice. Much appreciated!

I would take the whole uti situation to your urologist. If they’re not knowledgeable about the standard of care for SCI UTIs and other neurogenic urology issues and you basically trust them, get a referral to someone who is, and make a plan with that urologist for managing going forward. Don’t do the dumb thing I did and be overwhelmed and trusting and wind up in a long term complicated mess. Another down side of Cipro is the risk of tendon damage, which I have because of misplaced trust in an SCI naive urologist.

I keep Cipro on hand; my urologist prescribes if for me in case a UTI crop up.
    I have to say, this has been a real life saver for me in the past so when I notice symptoms starting I immediately take it for 3 days, unless the symptoms get worst. If they do get worst, that's when I call my doc to have a culture done. One thing to note, I don't do this often, it's maybe twice a year, and I never rush right to the Cipro if I have cloudy pee or some other symptom.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I was treated for almost a week with Cipro and when the C&S came back the infection wasn't sensitive to it, although it did relieve the symptoms.

Due to the dangers of antibiotic resistance for years I have sampled various herbal remedies from Traditional Chinese Medicine, under the guidance of my TCM practitioner, of course. The last one I tried is amazing. I feel better than I have in years. Constant low-grade infection was taking quite a toll on my health, yet I agree with my Urologist that using an antibiotic on an infection with no fever or obvious symptoms is not good. There really are alternatives in this world.

The advice given above is solid. While going on antibiotics is not something most people want to do, it is what you need to do if you have a uti. And a full blown course o 10-14 days, depending on the drug. In the meantime, take Tylenol for the fever and drink a lot of water. Try to stay away from caffeinated beverages if possible, but a cup of coffee/tea in the am will not kill you if you are like me and need it to get going. Even if you are feeling better with this treatment, you should go on the antibiotic and take the full course. You are probably flushing yourself well, hence you feel better. Once you stop, the symptoms will come back. And get the repeat culture once you are finished with the antibiotics.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Once it gets that bad lots of fluids and antibiotics is the only way to cure it. I had a real bad one and if I would have waited a couple more days it would have went septic and got into my blood stream.