Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to treat UTI

Best way to treat UTI

I let a UTI get away from me. Usually I can stop it early with D-Mannose and lots of water and cranberry juice. But I was traveling and didn't want to be peeing all the time. Now I'm dying. I've got major burning, pulsing and I'm peeing all over myself.

I dread going on antibiotics. Last time I was on four different ones. Since then i've been experiencing intolerable bloating. I think they killed the flora in my gut. I've been working tirelessly -- FODMAP diet, prebiotics, probitotics -- to restore the flora.

What should I do? My doc is recommending antibiotics. What if it's like last time where one after another didn't work? Err....

I can't take the burning and peeing on myself anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by EdieP View Post
    I let a UTI get away from me. Usually I can stop it early with D-Mannose and lots of water and cranberry juice. But I was traveling and didn't want to be peeing all the time. Now I'm dying. I've got major burning, pulsing and I'm peeing all over myself.

I dread going on antibiotics. Last time I was on four different ones. Since then i've been experiencing intolerable bloating. I think they killed the flora in my gut. I've been working tirelessly -- FODMAP diet, prebiotics, probitotics -- to restore the flora.

What should I do? My doc is recommending antibiotics. What if it's like last time where one after another didn't work? Err....

I can't take the burning and peeing on myself anymore.
    When you get a urinary tract infection do you get a urinalysis and a culture & sensitivity, or does your doctor prescribe an antibiotic without knowing the bacteria causing the infection and the the recommended antibiotic to use for that particular infection?

When you get an infection, how long of a course of antibiotics is your doctor prescribing? Twelve to fourteen days is advisable for complex urinary tract infections.

After you have taken a course of antibiotics, do you wait 2-3 days then have another urinalysis and culture & sensitivity to make sure the infection is gone?

My doctor prescribes without the culture. The last time I went straight from a 5-day course (can't remember what), directly to Cipro because it had gotten so bad (chills, a lot of pain, complete incontinence). Then there were a few days between the other ones. They did such a number on my gut -- I've been suffering this intolerable bloating for five months -- I'm afraid to go down this path again.

Is your recommendation to get the culture, wait 72 hours for the results, and then take whatever antibiotic is recommended based on culture results?

What do I do with this pain in the meantime? Aren't there any natural solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by EdieP View Post
    My doctor prescribes without the culture. The last time I went straight from a 5-day course (can't remember what), directly to Cipro because it had gotten so bad (chills, a lot of pain, complete incontinence). Then there were a few days between the other ones. They did such a number on my gut -- I've been suffering this intolerable bloating for five months -- I'm afraid to go down this path again.

Is your recommendation to get the culture, wait 72 hours for the results, and then take whatever antibiotic is recommended based on culture results?

What do I do with this pain in the meantime? Aren't there any natural solutions?
    You may want to find a new urologist for starters. I don't think the one you have now is familiar enough with treating complex urinary tract infections (UTI) in people with spinal cord injury. A standard course of antibiotics for complex urinary tract infections is 12 to 14 days and always, always, always get a urinalysis (UA) and culture and sensitivity (C&S). I understand you are in pain and suffering now with the urinary tract infection. A good practice would be to get a UA and C&S before taking any antibiotics. Once you have submitted the specimen, your doctor could prescribe Macrobid until the results of the tests are available. The C&S will identify the bacteria and will show that bacteria's sensitivity to several antibiotics. Your doctor should choose from those antibiotics that show the best chance of curing the infection. At that point, stop Macrobid and begin taking the selected antibiotic for 12 to 14 days. Then as above, get retested to make sure the infection is completely cleared. Taking a good probiotic while you are taking antibiotics can be helpful, although there is some new studies out that indicated probiotics may not be as helpful as once thought. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/proof-...ry?id=57643353

There's really not much proof probiotics work: Study

Over the past decade, probiotic dietary supplements have turned into a multi-million dollar industry, taken by almost 4 million adults and prescribed by up to 60 percent of health care providers. Yet the scientific community has known little about whether or not they actually work.

But this is likely to change, thanks to two back-to-back studies published Thursday in Cell, which cast further doubt on the benefits of the highly-commercialized probiotic products.

"People have thrown a lot of support to probiotics, even though the literature underlying our understanding of them is very controversial," Eran Elinav, senior author and an immunologist at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel, said in a press release, "we wanted to determine whether probiotics such as the ones you buy in the supermarket do colonize the gastrointestinal tract like they're supposed to, and then whether these probiotics are having any impact on the human host."

There really are no natural cures for urinary tract infections and trying to find one or not taking appropriate antibiotics is dangerous because you could suffer damage to your kidneys.

That said, I have read about a case where an individual used Microcyn Technology to cure a UTI, but he was diligent, instilled 60cc every couple hours around the clock. This is not a viable option for most, for sure. You can read about Microcyn Technology in the thread below. I'll warn you it is a long thread to get thorough. There are other threads of discussion about Microcyn. Do a search on Care Cure Community for additional information.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=microcyn

Take care and let us know how you are doing.
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-10-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Do not mess around with a UTI, you should go to the ER, or at the very least an urgent care clinic. When I went a few times to a Patient First they always did a C&S. I've had A UTI that wasn't sensitive to Cipro, which is considered a heavy duty antibiotic.

Prevention.

Best way to treat a UTI? Prevention.

A clean near sterile environment.

Three words.

Clorox. Clorox. Clorox.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Once you have a full blown UTI (you know, the one where your pee looks like a milkshake), you will not be able to kick it without taking antibiotics, IMHO. As stated above, try to get a culture and sensitivity done, but that takes a few days and you are going to be miserable in the meantime. A good doc can prescribe a wide spectrum antibiotic until the culture is done, so at least you can function. While waiting, drink, drink, drink and cath, cath, cath. You can probably also take Tylenol for the low level fever you probably have that contributes to your crummy general being. I always shit my pants if I'm on most antibiotics for more than 4 days, no matter how much yogurt I eat. Good luck, but don't f**k around. Get the right pills.

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm doing culture in the morning. And will see if I can wait the 72 hours or start taking a wide spectrum antibiotic. Is Cipro considered wide spectrum? My doctor gave me a 3-day course of that.

Let me guess, your doctor is at least 50 or 60 years old and is a primary care doctor, not a urologist.

Cipro could be a reasonable choice (but probably not), and no matter what 3 days is not enough. Unless you're a woman (I'm guessing not by your name) and have normal sensation, bladder function and urologic anatomy, you've got yourself a complicated UTI and the bare minimum treatment recommendation is 5 days.

Cipro used to be used all the time as a first line option, and depending on what resistance looks like in your local neck of the woods it could (but almost certainly is not) still be a reasonable option. Recommendations okay it as first line only if resistance is less than 10% in your area (and this is highly unlikely, but you really probably have no way of knowing unless you talk to an infectious disease physician at a big local hospital) AND you've never had resistance to cipro, which it sure sounds like you did in your previous bout.

I'd never let a physician prescribe me cipro, because the resistance level is so high in my area, unless they first proved to me that the bug was susceptible to it with a culture and sensitivity. Obviously we're all judging your doctor from a distance without knowing all of the details, but from a thousand miles away on the internet hearing your story second hand, it sure sounds like you need to find a new doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Let me guess, your doctor is at least 50 or 60 years old and is a primary care doctor, not a urologist.

Cipro could be a reasonable choice (but probably not), and no matter what 3 days is not enough. Unless you're a woman (I'm guessing not by your name) and have normal sensation, bladder function and urologic anatomy, you've got yourself a complicated UTI and the bare minimum treatment recommendation is 5 days.

Cipro used to be used all the time as a first line option, and depending on what resistance looks like in your local neck of the woods it could (but almost certainly is not) still be a reasonable option. Recommendations okay it as first line only if resistance is less than 10% in your area (and this is highly unlikely, but you really probably have no way of knowing unless you talk to an infectious disease physician at a big local hospital) AND you've never had resistance to cipro, which it sure sounds like you did in your previous bout.

I'd never let a physician prescribe me cipro, because the resistance level is so high in my area, unless they first proved to me that the bug was susceptible to it with a culture and sensitivity. Obviously we're all judging your doctor from a distance without knowing all of the details, but from a thousand miles away on the internet hearing your story second hand, it sure sounds like you need to find a new doctor.
    Profile on Care Cure Community indicates that the poster is a female, Edie, probably not Eddie...

Complicated urinary tract infections in the spinal cord injury community are typically treated with a 12 -14 day course of an antibiotic identified by a culture & sensitivity.

Poster identifies as living in Los Angeles, "neck of the woods."

Agree that the poster may need an new urologist, if that is who is giving her advise...but she probably needs to see an infectious disease doctor who his much more capable of modulating antibiotic treatment than an primary care or urology physician.