Thread: Segway type power chairs

Segway type power chairs

Hello All,
    I have been looking at the Segway type chairs and they interest me a lot. I am not sure I am ready to dump the amount of cash that they cost but I am doing research to see just what is offered by the different manufacturers and the pros and cons.

With that said nothing beats personal experience so I was wondering if I could get some input from any of you who are using "balancing" type chairs.

My plan for it would be to use it for quick jaunts to the market which is 2 miles away, taking walks with the family which include trail walking. Just how capable are these thing when it comes to trails? Weight is an issue as most of our walking venues are a bit of a drive away so this will need to be loaded into the back of the car.

Let me know your experiences if you would not mind.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Jim

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Not a professional user yet!
    but have lightly used one.
    I'm T4,
    Big Pro, Been great in the grass and dirt, very fast. Tiny foot print.
    Cons so far:
    Doors.. have yet to figure out how to open doors on my own, anytime you change the balance of the machine it it moves. so leaning to try and push and hold doors is proving impossible for me right now.
    So trying to go to the rest room is also proving impossible.
    The size of the bump you can get over in concrete sidewalks is not as big as you would imagine.
    The amount your feet stick out from the front really impairs the gradient of ramp/slope you can go up, so look carefully at how far your feet stick out.
    You tend to sit really high, so transferring can be an issue, and tables in restaurants etc become impossible.
    Just my initial 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Hello All,
    I have been looking at the Segway type chairs and they interest me a lot. I am not sure I am ready to dump the amount of cash that they cost but I am doing research to see just what is offered by the different manufacturers and the pros and cons.

With that said nothing beats personal experience so I was wondering if I could get some input from any of you who are using "balancing" type chairs.

My plan for it would be to use it for quick jaunts to the market which is 2 miles away, taking walks with the family which include trail walking. Just how capable are these thing when it comes to trails? Weight is an issue as most of our walking venues are a bit of a drive away so this will need to be loaded into the back of the car.

Let me know your experiences if you would not mind.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Jim

Not a user, but I had a decently long demo in an Ogo some time ago. Bear in mind when reading this that even now I still consider myself a beginner in a wheelchair with only 18 months as a user, and the demo was close to a year ago so I was very much unskilled in a chair.

I agree with the above about doors. I?m T2 and don?t have anywhere near the trunk stability needed to keep the thing still if I?m trying to do anything with my hands. In fact I had to hold the handles to control the chair as I can?t sit up straight on my own. The Ogo has a mode where a little joystick is used to turn and only forward / back is controlled by leaning, and I had more control using that, but it would need to be 4 way before I?d buy one. If you have core muscle control you can disregard that entire issue though, and when I was moving with my hands free to hold the handles I was in full control.

I actually found that I could get up remarkably steep slopes. My demo was done in a rural setting so I had a go on grassy areas with some gentle slopes, but also ditches and I went up a fairly steep country road. That last was an eye opener as it was so steep that I was a bit wary of turning around across the slope and the way down was pretty scary as it felt like I was leaning forward into nothing - my natural tendency was to lean back as the ground was sloping too steeply away in front of me. That?s just something to get used to however.

I didn?t push the limits of the thing on uneven ground, and I didn?t get a chance to try things like concrete kerb stones, but I was constantly being encouraged to try rougher ground and bigger obstacles, so it was pretty capable on rough ground.

I didn?t get chance to try fitting under tables or anything, and I agree it might be a little too high for that, but the transfer in wasn?t too bad from my TiLite, so I don?t think it was lots higher.

It was nicely fast and across a grassy field was loads of fun.

Overall I went into it thinking it might be a fun toy and would let me get out on mountain bike trails with friends, and it was all of those things. What stopped me from buying it was actually that I realised that with the street wheels it would be usable as an every day chair, but I wouldn?t have the control needed to do that. If they extend the joystick mode to all 4 directions then I?d definitely revisit the idea again.
    T2 complete since late 2016. Apparently I wasn?t as good at mountain biking as I thought

I apologise that when I type an apostrophe it appears as a question mark. I post using an iPad and this is the only forum it happens on. I will fix it if I figure out how.