Thread: Maxorb Alginate

Maxorb Alginate

I have some Maxorb Alginate and they're expired can they still be used?

I'm not sure about Maxorb but, I've used expired Aquacel Ag and had no problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SS77 View Post
    I have some Maxorb Alginate and they're expired can they still be used?
    NL took CERT training (Community Emergency Response Team) a few years back. In the classroom work, they were told, in the home setting that wound dressings that display an expired date are probably safe to use, unless the packaging has been compromised, i.e., has gotten wet, a corner torn off, packaging punctured.

The expiration dates are important in public health settings, doctors offices, hospitals, surgery centers, emergency medical team work etc. Expiration dates on packaging can either be "Expires by" (a certain date) or "Sterile unless the packaging integrity has been compromised." In the case of "Expires by," it can not be assumed that the dressing is sterile after the expiration date...it probably remains clean, but not sterile.

Good stuff, expensive as hell.
    Medicare wouldn't spring for mine despite my double stage 5s

gjnl is correct in the information he gave. Medications also tend to lose their potency and can not be guaranteed to be as effective once they are past their expiration date.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.