Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quantum 600 series Power Chair Problems

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    It?s getting worse. First the plug icon, then the motor brake and now a tool wrench icon! Pfffft
    There are sensors (microswitches) on the "freewheeling" clutches that tell the electronics what physical position they are in.

Examine the display, in detail! (photo). Move the levers into the freewheel position (assuming they weren't, already). Now reexamine the display -- is there any indication telling the driver "your wheel clutches are not engaged"? Has anything in the display changed??

Now, flip them back to the engaged position and, once again, reexamine the display.

I.e. you know something has changed, does the controller/brain? If not, then suspect something is interfering with the switches reporting their status to the controller (bad connection, damaged wiring, mechanical interference, etc.)

Remember that someone was tinkering "near the wheels" so anything in that area is suspect (moreso than the joystick or some OTHER portion of the chair).

I doubt the controller would let ANY motors move if it saw the freewheeling clutches disengaged. You can try to verify this by deliberately disengaging either/both them and seeing if the motors try to move when commanded.

Use this sort of differential diagnostic approach to create "before" and "after" conditions and see how the unit responds to them.

[I had an SRS (airbag) error thrown in one of the vehicles a year or so ago. I'd previously had it in the shop so suspected it wasn't a coincidence. Turns out the mechanic (heavy set) had disturbed one of the wiring harnesses under/beside the driver seat as he was getting in and out of the car. Simple fix -- once I knew where to look for it!]

Hope you feel better, soon!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Yes, I looked all over. My joystick looks nothing like those. I appreciate the help though - thank you!
    I suspect this is your joystick:

https://www.quantumrehab.com/pdf/bas...roller_boi.pdf

Page 11 (the 13th page in the PDF) shows the display icons.

The "plug" indicates the chair is charging (or, thinks it is!) The chair probably won't move while charging!
    The bar-graph indicates the state of the battery (probably says full just because it is being charged)
    The wheelchair icon shows you which (if any) actuators have erred (none, in your case) (see page 13)
    The "tie fighter" (for want of a better name -- circle encased in parentheses) indicates a motor/brake fault.
    The wrench indicates a fault.

The wrench + tie fighter says you've got a motor problem: "check connections".

Note that if your motor was unplugged, you would see an "Open motor fault", instead.

Mine is a quickie and every so often the right wheel will lock. I end up pushing or pulling myself for a bit and then it unlocks. Just bought a used one off eBay. Oddly I have only had problems with my right wheel. I have 2 of the same chair from craigslist and have had problems with both right wheels.

OMGoodness thank you so much for finding that!!!!! Helps tremendously!!!! Now I know where to look at least.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12