Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quantum 600 series Power Chair Problems

Quantum 600 series Power Chair Problems

Please give me a hint:

Bought a used power chair four years ago. Am currently very sick and reliant on it. Friend's bro-in-law took it to replace tires and tubes for me. Unlocked manual brakes and pushed it out over my laminate, carpet hallway, uneven sidewalk, up a ramp, into their garage etc.

When it came back, it wasn't pushing as easily or so it seemed. Now the chair powers up, but won't move. I've adjusted the manual brakes at least twice. The guy who replaced the tires did it as well. It shows a full charge but the indicator light on the charger is yellow. Previous to this, it sat for 10 months plugged in. It had some rough use from the uneven sidewalks around here and taking my dog for walks. I'm wondering if the manual brake has worked loose inside the motor or something? Is that possible?

I've watched a couple of youtube vids on motors etc ... I don't want to invest in a battery if I'm not sure that's the problem (it appears there are two in these things?). Also, since it was used - there is no owners' manual. I've scoured the internet looking for this error code but can't find it. It shows a plug on the joystick display .. any idea what this means?

Also - for next time - what power chair should I look at purchasing used? I have great insurance but can't have a manual and power at the same time - I'd rather have a new manual for now while I still have my car - even though it's sat for two years now.

I tried calling service but I am banned from their store and they do not return my calls. As well, it's $80 just to have someone show up. Not covered because I bought this used with my own dime.

I have a backup I bought for $200 but the battery won't charge ... one of those things I was going to take care of and never did. Needs days' worth of adjustments as well so that's not a viable option right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

When powered up, do the brakes "click" when you move the joystick? Try suspending the drive wheels and see if they spin. Could be a stuck motor brake, or the freewheel lever(s) are partially engaged. Did the chair work before the tire change?

Yes the chair worked perfectly before the tire change. The manual brakes are kind of 'sloppy slippy' so that's what I was wondering. Yes they click. The right side seems like it wants to go but not the left at all. Wish I had something to lift the chair up to work on it .. I can't even tip it it's so heavy. I won't be able to suspend the chair so will take the motor cover off and see what I can discover.

Thanks so much - I think I needed validation to start taking it apart.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

It sounds like the left side motor lever isn't fully engaged, check the lever on that.

Can I disconnect the one side permanently? I know the repercussion will be never moving that one side manually ever again.

It seems odd that if one side won't move forward, the other doesn't still go ... they are two separate motors.

If not already attempted I'd engage and dis-engage motor brakes a few times. Try pushing between attempts. Hopefully one is not engaging completely.
    If working before tire change, I'd check for loose connections before spending any money on testing/repairs.

Batteries being tested anyone with equipment to do load test on batteries can tell if batteries are bad. Battery and Bulb Plus use to do stuff like that. Any general batter shop might check but more that likey need take batteries to these places to be tested, so need removefrom chair be easier than pushing chair.

BTW: Had older powerchair that one night while backing up, no problem noticed beforehand, when one side was pulling and other side just stopped. Was covered by insurance and Tech came out to test. It was control modular gone bad. They called it "brain" of chair electronics hence cheaper replace chair over repair.

"Good Luck!"

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Can I disconnect the one side permanently? I know the repercussion will be never moving that one side manually ever again.

It seems odd that if one side won't move forward, the other doesn't still go ... they are two separate motors.

I'm thinking your left motor isn't engaged, or partially engaged. But, you. need to check that both motors are fully engaged. Sometimes you have to rock the chair to get them to engage. You can't just disconnect one motor for the chair to operate, you'd get a fault in the control system, it's both motors or nothing.

I meant the brake on one side - remove it permanently - but I guess not. Feeling kinda euchred so going to take a nap and look at it with refreshed eyes tonight.

I would think it would show the error code on the display when the manual brakes are engaged ... it does when I engage them so maybe this isn't the right track.

Having a moment of self pity: Why does everything have to be so hard? LOL They make these stupid chairs as difficult as possible to fix for the people least able to do it physically or financially. Working on the manual is no big deal - like a bicycle. *grumble*

I'm not familiar with manual brakes on powerchairs, never used them. Regardless, I doubt that they would cause a fault in the control system. And most of the chairs I've worked on won't show a fault with the motor disengaged either. If your chair is powering up with no fault codes, and tries to move, the problem is more than likely going to be with that freewheel system, or something related to the manual brake system.

I just looked at that video, that just relates to the motor brake. If there was any issues with those you'd definitely would show a fault when powering up.