Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life before the internet... how did y'all even do it?

I was injured in '72. We didn't need to check ahead to see if a place was accessible. It wasn't! My friends simply took me everywhere, steps or not. They've carted my manual wheelchair and I into old baseball stadiums, upstairs bars, you name it.

My first lift was made by a local machine shop because there was no info on commercial lifts. It was the dark ages of accessibility info.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

That's what I'm talking about, DeadEye.

I imagine the difficulty meant people not as resourceful and adventurous as yourself spent a lot more time not doing things because of the inaccessibility, but sometimes I get the feeling the internet makes me soft. I should just get in the habit of going and figuring it out along the way.

We had a family friend injured in ‘81 and she went everywhere - she just went and we all coped with whatever when we were there. There was a whole lot of improvisation and frustration and laughter.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    That's what I'm talking about, DeadEye.

I imagine the difficulty meant people not as resourceful and adventurous as yourself spent a lot more time not doing things because of the inaccessibility, but sometimes I get the feeling the internet makes me soft. I should just get in the habit of going and figuring it out along the way.
    This diminishes your "but what if this happens?" fears. I think those fears are primal. Those fears return if you don't consistently just keep doing it as well. It isn't a one and done fear killer it's like an exercise routine.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    I was injured in '72. We didn't need to check ahead to see if a place was accessible. It wasn't! My friends simply took me everywhere, steps or not. They've carted my manual wheelchair and I into old baseball stadiums, upstairs bars, you name it.

My first lift was made by a local machine shop because there was no info on commercial lifts. It was the dark ages of accessibility info.
    Tell em Deadeye. Two more days and I'll have completed 48 years. One of the farms I hunted, a little spin mark by his house meant I'm out there someplace. Every so often he'd scan the area with binoculars and if the orange hat was on the car roof he knew I got one. Real simple communication. After the hunt we'd enjoy the personal visit, war stories and such. The good ole days are gone man. Everything nowadays is rush, rush, not even time for a hand shake.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

I've got lots of pre-technology stories. Like the afternoon my van died in the middle of a pasture when I was groundhog hunting. Wouldn't start. Spent the night in the back of the van. Or the time my first powerchair died in the middle of a field n August, before cell phones, no one home, nearest neighbor 1 mile away. 11 oclock in the morning, no shirt, hungover, 91 degrees and 35 yards to closest shade. Threw myself to the ground and crawled 35 yards thru 3 foot tall hay to the tree. You just did what you had to do.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Tell em Deadeye. Two more days and I'll have completed 48 years. One of the farms I hunted, a little spin mark by his house meant I'm out there someplace. Every so often he'd scan the area with binoculars and if the orange hat was on the car roof he knew I got one. Real simple communication. After the hunt we'd enjoy the personal visit, war stories and such. The good ole days are gone man. Everything nowadays is rush, rush, not even time for a hand shake.
    Happy quadiversary OT!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Happy quadiversary OT!
    Thanks Robin, It doesn't seem at all that long and I'm still pluggin along in my manual. Going to VA next month for a shot in each shoulder, just in time for hunting. Good luck, hope you are knocking em down and plenty of meat in the freezer. Don't intend to hijack your thread Funklab.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!