Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Challenging Ramp Building Project

Did not ask me for anything. Displayed this msg

404. That’s an error.
    The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

Quote Originally Posted by pararich View Post
    Excuse me as I learn how to post pictures! ICloud photos don't seem to be linkable.

I'm tired now after working with Trex decking for a few days.

T7 complete injury, falling off a ladder 13 years ago, on Labor Day weekend.
    Try this, from a laptop or desktop: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-Where-to-post

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-Where-to-post

This is what you get from that link...not I think the link the shows the ramp completed.

Sorry, I'll work on Getting the pictures right.
    Rich

Rich

Challenging for sure...quite an accomplishment for anyone!!

That's a big job for an able bodied person, yet alone from a wheelchair. Looks well constructed too.

Thanks guys. I'll take some more pictures when the rain lets up. It's been very rainy here for a while.
    I have to come up with a handrail for the ramp part and railing for the new part of the deck.
    I bought a crimper and installed cable railing on the first section of the deck (that was built a few years ago). On that part of the deck the joists, boards and posts were done by a contractor that I hired. Foolishly, I sold that crimper a while ago.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by pararich View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll take some more pictures when the rain lets up. It's been very rainy here for a while.
    Excellent! But, I'm curious as to what you've done to protect against the elements, critters (termites), etc.

E.g., the post closest to the house to YOUR left in the photo of you in the chair looks like it has no footer. And, I assume the others sit on the footers (with termite guards between) and not IN them?

It also looks like a fair bit of lumber (joists) sits on the soil -- though I'm at a loss as to how you could avoid this, esp at the low end of the ramp (?)

Also, what's your experience been with riding on the crushed stone? It is used almost universally, here (desert southwest) and can be tedious to navigate. Or, do you rely on paths that you've "worn" into it?

Foolishly, I sold that crimper a while ago.
    Isn't that always the case?! Regardless of how many DECADES you may have kept it in storage??!

Good luck with the rest of the build!

@ automation: the lumber Rich used is pressure treated and it can be bought that meets full ground contact specs. As for the ramp posts - they can be just buried without footers, as long as they're below the frost line. There's no structural load as there is with the deck itself, which he has covered with the concrete support columns.