Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TiLite Build Time?

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    my dme never even gave me a CAD on my chair not on any of them i guess i got lucky and theyve been ok for the most part
    Yeah my last chair I didn't either and it turned out great, but my DME has consistently quoted back to me incorrect measurements and options after I told them verbally and emailed them specifically, line by line going down the order form.

I don't really believe in evil, I think it's a human archetype used to explain events that are too unfathomably terrible, but if evil exists, it lives in the very hearts of the demon-spawn that work at my DME. They astound me with their absolute stupidity, and just being dumb would be one thing, I'm used to that, I could deal with it, but they seem to be using the three or four brain cells still firing inside their braindead skulls to thwart my every effort to get a chair and do their job for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    once insurance had all paperwork needed it went pretty quickly say 2 -3 weeks at most and that was because my DME knew i needed a new one asap and as soon as it was in shop had it built and delivered the same day. if you have waited over 2 years you need to switch DME's or i would be on the phone daily at least if not 2-3 times a day. that is absolutely absurd.
    I can't switch DMEs, this is the only "in network" option for my insurance. I guess I could go elsewhere, but I would pay 40% copay instead of 20%, and believe me, I regret not doing that two years ago. It'd cost me an extra $1500 or so, but I'd gladly pay that to get the chair two years sooner. For months at a time I would call and email them daily, but sometimes my schedule was busy and I didn't have time during business hours. I eventually got them moving by showing up at their office (about 30 minutes from where I work) everytime I got off work with enough time to get there before they closed. Turns out they love arguing with me and telling me what I can't do, but they don't really like doing it after 5pm when I show up at their office at 4:55. I had to call corporate multiple times and have their corporate office explain to them that they could indeed bill my insurance (not medicare) for a titanium chair. I could go on, but I'm already getting myself pissed off again.

Anyway, I am currently just trying to convince BCBS to cover the titanium upgrade, so either they will or they wont and then I think I've convinced the DME to actually order it.

My only solace is plotting my revenge... I work in the medical field for the main hospital system in the area (also one of the biggest employers in the area)... I think there's a fair chance I can put them out of business. As soon as my chair comes in I'm going to make it my life's work to ensure that they fail. If I'm loud and convincing enough I think I can get my employer to replace them with another in-network DME provider, and I'll give a shot at convincing the other big companies to do the same. Then I will personally talk to all of the PTs at the local hospital where I work (they probably get 75% of their referrals from us) and tell them what horrible humans work there, and ask them to never refer patients there, or at least warn them of how horrible of an experience it is going to be.

If I can't run them out of business I'll settle for costing a few tens of millions of dollars in revenue, which seems extremely doable to me. If they hemorrhage enough money, surely they'll at least fire everyone who works there, and then I can die knowing I did some good while I was on this planet.

I had my ZRA within a month of putting in the order. There was a delay because I changed a few things after the order was placed and the Spinlife rep was super freaked out for some reason and was trying to convince me not to change (I ended up going with some less conservative measurements and while I was at first worried I would fall out of the chair I was able to adjust and LOVE it).

my father did the same with a nursing home in my area! one of the major hospitals is where he is director of patient relations at and my grandmother was in a nursing home that almost killed her a few times, well the major hospital now no longer refers patients their. and lots of changes are being made at said nursing home now because he actually reported them to DOH and DOH is actually still in the facility almost 2 years later constantly. you seem to be getting somewhere finally 2 years though is absolutely crazy!!! mine took 6 months and i was going nuts towards the end as my old chair was literally falling apart.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

TiLite provides CADs at no charge (revisions are subject to a fee) so I'm at a loss to understand why so many DMEs don't automatically share them with their customers. More importantly they provide a source of agreement and protection for all the parties involved: the manufacturer, the vendor, and the end user. At Bike-On, we don't submit an order to TiLite until the end user issues his/her OK. We operate as peers and involve the customers as much as possible making the process a collaborative one. This frequently involves LOTS of back and forth emails as well as time on the phone. Not providing the CAD to customer strikes me as presumptuous, maybe even contemptuous. It's totally alien to the way we do things. While I have way more practice than the majority of my customers in spec'ing out a new chair, I never consider myself to be the authority -- the customer is the expert, I am the guide a facilitator.

I was all impressed that my wife's chair was going to be custom made to her specific measurements. I happily accepted the long wait because of it. However, after it came and I had to work on it a couple times I've realized that except for the bent tube that runs under the seat and down the legs, the entire chair is a collection of shelf items.

I happen to work at a weld shop. There are automated CNC tube benders that would poop out those custom shapes to the tune of 6-8 pair an hour.

Why their business model makes disabled people wait forever, is beyond me,... but when her chair starts showing wear, I'm going to seek other vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by Other Bruce View Post
    I was all impressed that my wife's chair was going to be custom made to her specific measurements. I happily accepted the long wait because of it. However, after it came and I had to work on it a couple times I've realized that except for the bent tube that runs under the seat and down the legs, the entire chair is a collection of shelf items.

I happen to work at a weld shop. There are automated CNC tube benders that would poop out those custom shapes to the tune of 6-8 pair an hour.

Why their business model makes disabled people wait forever, is beyond me,... but when her chair starts showing wear, I'm going to seek other vendors.
    Waiting 10 days doesn't seem that bad to me to custom bend and weld the frame and slap on all the extras.

But I guess my vision is clouded by waiting 6 months last time and two years this time fighting with the DME to actually place the order with TiLite.

Quote Originally Posted by Other Bruce View Post
    Interesting. Not my area of expertise but you'd think that TiLite would happily retire their team of benders for a machine if it could produce the same result.

sanatino
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    Two years? What the hell? How is that even possible?
    You're really right. It's very funny. I could not stand it anyway

After the debacle of just getting the order in, we waited ?6 week's.
    She did accute care in Boston and they assured us the order was in and it would be delivered to Craig in Denver.... But after waiting for it, we learned it had not been ordered.
    When it finally came she was able to join the routine classes.... The first one we went to was "how to go down stairs by yourself " Not understanding why, she turned to me and said "This is bullshit."
    She however, is now prepared to be in a burning building.