Thread: antibiotic pre-Botox?

antibiotic pre-Botox?

For those of you that get bladder Botox, do your urologists prescribe prophylactic antibiotic beforehand? I've had it go both ways, though most of the time the surgeon does not want to risk introducing bacteria through the skin via the needle prick holes used to deliver the Botox.

Given that we are always colonized any time we take antibiotic in the absence of symptoms, such as fever, which I presently do not have, we increase the potential for antibiotic resistance for the bacteria in our bladder. Thus, prophylactic antibiotic presurgery increases our chances for future resistance.

I shower every day, which reduces skin flora, start the washcloth first on my umbilical stoma area and do not return to it, use Betadine 80% of the time pre cath, use sterile caths, wash my hands (or use antibacterial gel), and still the bugs come back. I especially have a recurrent Enterobacter colonization every time I do a culture. I have been developing some resistances. I even developed a allergy to Bactrim about five years ago, which I never had since my SCI 30 years ago.

Is it possible that the bowel segment that is used for the augment always represent an additional source of bacterial infection, especially given the mucus production which is perfect for bacterial food?

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    For those of you that get bladder Botox, do your urologists prescribe prophylactic antibiotic beforehand? I've had it go both ways, though most of the time the surgeon does not want to risk introducing bacteria through the skin via the needle prick holes used to deliver the Botox.

Given that we are always colonized any time we take antibiotic in the absence of symptoms, such as fever, which I presently do not have, we increase the potential for antibiotic resistance for the bacteria in our bladder. Thus, prophylactic antibiotic presurgery increases our chances for future resistance.

I shower every day, which reduces skin flora, start the washcloth first on my umbilical stoma area and do not return to it, use Betadine 80% of the time pre cath, use sterile caths, wash my hands (or use antibacterial gel), and still the bugs come back. I especially have a recurrent Enterobacter colonization every time I do a culture. I have been developing some resistances. I even developed a allergy to Bactrim about five years ago, which I never had since my SCI 30 years ago.

Is it possible that the bowel segment that is used for the augment always represent an additional source of bacterial infection, especially given the mucus production which is perfect for bacterial food?
    When I received rounds of Botox, the urologist always gave me a 500mg Cipro at the end of the procedure and 500 mg of Cipro to take 8 hours later at home.

did you do a culture before the procedure and if it came back colonized, which we always are, did your urologist not want to deal with this more thoroughly (i.e. a longer course of antibiotic) before the procedure or not think it was an issue going into the surgical procedure?

taking two Cipros is probably not enough to make a difference and what I understand about treating bacterial infections,that which does not kill it, makes it stronger. That is why they always tell us to finish the course of antibiotic even though you may be feeling better after a couple pills.

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    did you do a culture before the procedure and if it came back colonized, which we always are, did your urologist not want to deal with this more thoroughly (i.e. a longer course of antibiotic) before the procedure or not think it was an issue going into the surgical procedure?

taking two Cipros is probably not enough to make a difference and what I understand about treating bacterial infections,that which does not kill it, makes it stronger. That is why they always tell us to finish the course of antibiotic even though you may be feeling better after a couple pills.
    When I had Botox injections, I did not have a urinalysis or culture and sensitivity before the procedure. I was never symptomatic with a urinary infection and my urologist understood colonization, so it was not an issue for him to treat colonization before the procedure. The 2 Cipro tablets were not given as treatment, which would not have been a large enough dose to treat anything, they were prophylactic to the introduction of bacteria during the procedure.