Thread: Gas retention

Gas retention

I know this subject has been discussed before, but what I can't understand is why retained gas doesn't come out from the buildup of pressure. I'll bloat like a balloon, have internal gas sounds, and the second I receive digital stim for my bowel program, there is a large release of gas, but not until then. You'd think with all that pressure it would come out on its own. I just don't get it.

I can't understand my gas problem either,i cut my magic bullet in half the gas eased up then returned. I then stop using suppositories and did my BP every other day that helped a lot so I'll use a magic bullet when I feel I need to be totally empty.

Do you lay on your left side at night? It helps. Gas-X too.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

A sure-fire trick for me (C6-7) is to push up a steep incline while leaning way forward. I roll right after breakfast and the steep hill is about a half-mile away. I'll pass no gas until I get there and then poot six or eight pushes in a row. Then the gas is all gone.

WebMD
    https://www.webmd.com/digestive-diso...oating-reasons

1. Swallowing air from drinking through a straw, or chewing gum.
    2. Eating too fast
    3. Eating too much
    4. Eating fatty foods
    5. Eating foods that create gas in the intestinal tract (such beans, vegetables, and other high fiber foods)
    6. Lactose intolerance
    7. Intestinal disorders, for example, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), IBD (inflammatory bowel disease, which includes including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis), and SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth).
    8. Celiac disease (gluten intolerance)
    9. Abdominal adhesions due to prior surgery(s) in the abdominal or pelvic region, for example, hysterectomy.

Other common causes of bloating include:

1. Indigestion
    2. Pregnancy
    3. Menstrual period and/or PMS (premenstrual syndrome)
    4. Drinking a lot of soda or other carbonated beverages
    5. Food allergies
    6. Constipation
    7. Smoking
    8. Liver disease
    9. Hiatal hernia
    10. Gallstone
    11. H. pylori infection (which can lead to stomach ulcers)
    12. Gastroparesis

pbr
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 09-05-2018 at 12:40 AM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

@landrover Think SCI-Nurse is saying you might be expecting more than you bargain for