Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question: why can't we use butt implants to solve pressure sores

I remember a former CareCure'r (Ryan <3) struggling so much. My arse after 33yrs is like tissue paper and scrapes and opens easily .. but my left foot is where the most damage lies.

Anyway .. I remember this but haven't heard of anything since ....

https://www.advancedreconstruction.c...ressure-sores/
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

A few years ago, when I was in hospital battling a stage 4 pressure wound, I would often joke with the nurses that if I had a bottom like Kim Kardashian, I wouldn't be in the situation I was in.

Without delving too much into the problems a butt implant could give to a paraplegic, on the surface it seemed like the perfect solution to me.

I also fantasised about a foam spray, similar to what is used in filling gaps in houses, that could be sprayed into my wound to fill it up so my skin was level again, and could heal the area.

Oh well .............. dream on.

Reasons to avoid implants???

This
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBWtPntqNo4

and then there is this fruit loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJpy9HZs1jM

Just look at the abuse the human body can be subjected to
    A person would have to have a short circuit somewhere to contemplate such a travesty; surely??

Just look at the abuse the human body can be subjected to ...

Yes. Fingers up asses to poop. Tubes shoved in urethras. Skin and muscle moved to close wounds. Amputations. Infections. Death.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Just look at the abuse the human body can be subjected to ...
    Yes. Fingers up asses to poop. Tubes shoved in urethras. Skin and muscle moved to close wounds. Amputations. Infections. Death.
    Well if that is how the excitement comes lol
    Now, why fingers up arses when one would suffice? about shoving tubes up the urethra. Is that by way of urgency or masochistic?

The skin over the implants would break down though.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Ever seen saline breasts? They would move with you while you breath.

The implants are not strong enough for the day to day wear and tear that a person with a SCI would put on them. Add to that the problem of the gel moving around and you may get pressure on areas that are not used to it. They also do not provide ay sensory input, which could lead to other problems. And lastly, the potential for surgical complications. Not sure that it is worth it, but I do not live with the threat of pressure ulcers everyday.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

The best way to solve pressure sores problem is proper prevention program.

Doctors don't want to operate unless there is enough reward to justify the risk. The risk is creating the very problem that the surgery is supposed to prevent - skin problems. Unless there is an existing problem or some way to show that they are preventing a problem that outweighs the risk, they may make things worse for the patient and take on an unnecessary liability for themselves. I don't blame them for not wanting to do the surgery.