Thread: Breathing and spasm problems..

Breathing and spasm problems..

I'm a 44 male C-6-7 Incomplete. Here the last year I've been having problem breathing after getting in my shower chair, moving my back a certain way. I get this spasm on my left side that tighten up where I can't breath for a 1 or 2 minutes. It's pretty scary. I was suppose to go to my Dr 7/31/18 but she canceled and now I can't see her until Nov. something. I was just reclined back in my chair doing some dumb bell exercise when it hit again when I reclined down. I didn't think it was going to relax where I could catch my breath. Anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it? Thanks Brad

I definitely suggest a 'back-up' doctor. I recently posted about a service I'm looking into: Visiting Physicians Association. Their web site should indicate if they are in your state.
    Hope you can get this looked into before November.

You may want to purchase a pulse oxymeter so you can quickly check your oxygenation level when this occurs. If you drop below 90% when you have trouble with deep breathing you probably need to see a pulmonologist. You can buy a pulse oxymeter on Amazon for around 20.00. Probably a good idea for every sci person to keep one handy.

Your level of injury can leave you prone to hypoventilation - low oxygen aeration in your lungs

i would recommend a visit to pulmonary for pulmonary function test.

good luck

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Need to see a respiratory physician and describe the problem. Then the huff and puff test and not blow the house down.

I have hand and tricep spaz due to Pons lesion, but can still breathe at the moment. (It is diffuse pleural thickening, pleural effusion and hydrothorax that threatens breathing for me.)