Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent. Bearing size.

Urgent. Bearing size.

Just a quick question.

Anybody know the size of icon wheelchair fork housing bearing?

And how many do i need to replace them all?

Icon's manual doesnt have parts listed.
    Just started my first day at work and my bearing is busted.

Wrong timing
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

I believe that it depends on what type of forks you have, as there have been a few differences over the years. (And I am assuming you are talking about the horizontal bearings, not the ones in the caster wheels).

I asked Jeff this exact question several years ago, and his response was “R8 1/2" i.d. X 1 1/8" o.d.”. However he then realised that my son’s Icon has FrogLegs Unitine forks, which have a different sized bearing - they are metric, and the ones we use are NSK 6001 VVCM NS7S, they have a 12mm i.d. (More details on page 4 of this: http://www.bearing.co.il/DGBB04.pdf). Then I now see that the caster arm design has changed...whether that means the bearing size has changed too, I have no idea.

My son’s Icon has 2 bearings in each arm. The first one comes out relatively easily. But the second is held in with a spring clip, so don’t try hammering out the second one until you’ve removed the clip if there is one!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/koehnia/29504951927

This is my fork. Lost the top cover on my last trip. But you can see the nut isnt alligned in the middle. I hope icon would chime in and clarify. Really need this repaired immediately.
    Last edited by nia adha; 09-03-2018 at 04:20 AM.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nia adha View Post
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/koehnia/29504951927

This is my fork. Lost the top cover on my last trip. But you can see the nut isnt alligned in the middle. I hope icon would chime in and clarify. Really need this repaired immediately.
    That’s a more modern fork than my son has, so I don’t know what bearing size it uses.

Have you tried emailing Icon? Or messaging on their Facebook page?
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

I did about 4 hours ago. Maybe they'll reply in the morning.

I hope it's not one of those rare bearing that's hard to get.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Typically, bearings have a number stamped on them, either the seal, if it has one, or the outer race. You can also identify them by inner race bore ID X outer race OD X thickness. More than likely there's nothing special bout them and any industrial supply shop or auto parts supplier, like NAPA will have them in stock.

From your picture it looks like the R8 1/2" i.d. X 1 1/8" o.d that Gordy referenced. R8 1/2" i.d. X 1 1/8" o.d is the same size as rear wheel bearings. And yes it is used in automotive alternators.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I found buying them on Amazon i could get 8 new bearing for half the price of 2 wheelchair bearings. Once you have the number you can search that. Anything sold under wheelchair parts are much more expensive. Same bearings just listed differently, same for casters.

It's twice that Icon Wheelchair read my message but won't reply. Do they have any problem with customers buying bearings on their own?
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Can you remove the nut, drive out the stem and read the bearing number?
    If your chair is your only mode, the fork, stem and bearings can be reistated until the new bearings arrive.