Thread: blood test

blood test

I finally got a dr in my town that is quote in network

I am healthy never sick ever so they want me to take cbc cmp lipid test I called ins company 20% copay

which I don/t have a problem with but I need to know cost first.

then I wonder why I ask and they said getting to know you so I ask you guys why are all the test neccasry I feelo good no uti for years

I don/t get colds so...? asking your thought

Those blood tests are common for an annual physical. I've been seeing the same primary care doctor for 12 years, and have a wellness physical every year. These tests are always ordered.

CBC is required by some physicians before a surgery. NL just had cataract surgery and had to have a pre surgery physical exam and a CBC to make sure she had no underlying infection process or anemia. Even though she had her annual physical in January, the CBC had to be repeated since that was more than six months ago.

These tests will give your new physician a snapshot into your general health and serve as a baseline of reference in the future. Just because you feel okay, doesn't mean you are okay. High cholesterol and triglycerides don't cause symptoms, until it may be too late...heart attacks, strokes etc.

The CBC measures:

• Red blood cells, which carry oxygen
    • White blood cells, which fight infection
    • Hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying protein in red blood cells
    • Hematocrit, the proportion of red blood cells to the fluid component, or plasma, in your blood
    • Platelets, which help with blood clotting

The Lipid panel measures:

• Total cholesterol
    • LDL ("bad") cholesterol
    • HDL ("good") cholesterol
    • Triglycerides, another type of fat that causes hardening of the arteries

The Comprehensive Metabolic panel measures the following and gives your doctor a snapshot of the health of your kidneys, your blood sugar levels, and the levels of key electrolytes, such as potassium and sodium:

• Calcium. Calcium plays a role in keeping your cells working the way they should. It also helps blood clot normally.
    • Carbon dioxide. This can be a measure of how well your kidneys and lungs are working.
    • Chloride. This is a measure related to how your body manages fluids.
    • Creatinine. This is a byproduct of your kidneys' normal functioning, and levels can tell how well your kidneys are working.
    • Glucose. Glucose, or blood sugar, is a key source of energy for your body, but too much or too little can be a problem.
    • Potassium. This mineral plays a leading role in cell health.
    • Sodium. This mineral plays a key role in making sure cells, tissues, and blood have enough water to work well.
    • Urea nitrogen, or BUN. This is another byproduct of kidney function that shows how well your kidneys are working.

Last edited by gjnl; 09-02-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: I had this in my original, but for some reason it was not saved.

CMP ( comprehensive metabolic panel ) is described in the link below:

https://labtestsonline.org/tests/com...olic-panel-cmp

These are very routine blood tests that my Doctor orders once a year.
    Last edited by 2drwhofans; 09-03-2018 at 05:06 PM.

I looked them up and read I emailed to find out how much they cost... as...… 20% is a fair copay but if it real expensive I am passing..