Thread: Anyone tried Wii?

Anyone tried Wii?

Anyone like using a Wii?

My Dad used to be a big tennis player back in the day, and also really liked to do group exercise classes. Is this something he could do from a chair using Wii? My Dad is a para.

I just looked online and it costs $700 on Amazon (?!?!). That seems way to high.... Maybe it is being discontinued?

Is this something I should try to pick up used on Craigslist, or buy a refurbished model somewhere online? Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Anyone like using a Wii?

My Dad used to be a big tennis player back in the day, and also really liked to do group exercise classes. Is this something he could do from a chair using Wii? My Dad is a para.

I just looked online and it costs $700 on Amazon (?!?!). That seems way to high.... Maybe it is being discontinued?

Is this something I should try to pick up used on Craigslist, or buy a refurbished model somewhere online? Which one?
    We had one years ago when it 1st came out...if he has arm range of motion then I would get it!

Just get a reberb unit...not sure if they still make games for it but game stop has older used games

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbish...hite/570258738

https://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/g...waAiQYEALw_wcB

When I was in rehab they had one that I sat on and played helping with trunk control

Thanks for sharing your experiences. His arm range of motion is pretty good, and he needs to work on trunk control. I'm also wondering if some of the games could be a little bit of "cardio" exercise for him?

Lavender lady, there was something you sat on? I did see there is a version of the Wii where you stand on a platform. I was wondering if that was also something you could sit on....

It was the item to stand on I just sat on it. Added a little fun to pt

So correct me if I'm wrong.... but I probably just want a basic Wii (not a Wii U since my Dad isn't into video games or the fanciest graphics etc..). And then I need to buy the Wii fit package with the balance board?

I think a person would have to work really hard to get any cardio with the Wii.
    The Vitaglide is a great machine for cardio and working the rhomboid area. I've been using one for ten years. It gets the heartrate up, works on strength and range of motion.

Sounds like your dad is an athlete and he wouldn't train with video. The balance board is probably all he needs without the Wii. He may like it. All the money spent on the Wii could be spent on equipment more efficient and less expensive. If the Wii would motivate him go for it. As Lavender Lady mentioned it's added fun.

Is your dad active now? Glad to hear your dad is still going strong.

Thanks for your input Patrick.

Actually, I've been impressed with how an upper body aerobics or free weight routine can give you some cardio, especially if you are a bit deconditioned to begin with, but I realize that may not be the case with the Wii game.

My Dad was never a big athlete but he used to play on the tennis team when he was student, and back in the 80's/90's, he used to take an aerobics class at work where he was the only middle aged guy in a class with 20-something women. Yes, he loved it and they got a kick out of him. Literally.

That Vitaglide does look great. My Dad has a ton of exercise equipment at home, but no arm bike etc.... Since he is incomplete and has some leg function (walks with AFOs/crutches) he has a used Nustep vs. walking for cardio, but as he gets older and his pain is worse, he avoids that more and more.

My Dad is almost 76, now 11 years post. Aging with SCI is pretty brutal as he is slowing down, but he is still amazingly tough and strong and is back in PT after a year of multiple illness/hospitalizations. One day at a time.

I think my Dad would really enjoy it if he could play tennis on the Wii against his son/grand-daughter etc...

Check Craigslist, there's always a ton looking to off load game/console bundles. At least from what I've seen. Just make sure he uses the wrist strap for the controller, I've seen people accidentally hurl them at TVs and walls and pets!