Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My terrifying experience

Oh man, so sorry 55! That's one of my fears when clearing brush and cutting trails in the deer woods. In the haste t get away, it would be very easy to make a bad decision and get stuck and swarmed. Yellow jackets are hateful little bastards. Nothing brings one more pleasure that the WOOOF sound when you drop the match on their gasoline soaked hole.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Oh man, so sorry 55! That's one of my fears when clearing brush and cutting trails in the deer woods. In the haste t get away, it would be very easy to make a bad decision and get stuck and swarmed. Yellow jackets are hateful little bastards. Nothing brings one more pleasure that the WOOOF sound when you drop the match on their gasoline soaked hole.
    I have no idea how one can be prepared for something like this. I am fortunate to have had a cap on. At least they did not get my balding head. I am always watching where I park outside because of the fireants down here.They are pretty easy to spot because their hills stand out in the red clay. The bees nest was hidden by somewhat taller grass right along the park fence. The city park manager sent over an exterminator. He sprayed a can of something in the nest hole and said that should take care of them. I noted that he said "should", not "will" lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Best done after they're all tucked in for the night!

That's right!

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55+yrs. View Post
    I have no idea how one can be prepared for something like this. I am fortunate to have had a cap on. At least they did not get my balding head. I am always watching where I park outside because of the fireants down here.They are pretty easy to spot because their hills stand out in the red clay. The bees nest was hidden by somewhat taller grass right along the park fence. The city park manager sent over an exterminator. He sprayed a can of something in the nest hole and said that should take care of them. I noted that he said "should", not "will" lol
    Yellow Jackets are nasty. I am so sorry you got into them. I was not aware that they build hives in the ground, or maybe here in the NW part of the county they don't bother. Ours like house eaves, parked cars, low shrubs. But do you know what they really like? Chicken, fry, broil, bake it don't matter you better beware the Yellow Jackets want it whether it's outside or inside, so be sure the screens are up.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Yellow Jackets are nasty. I am so sorry you got into them. I was not aware that they build hives in the ground, or maybe here in the NW part of the county they don't bother. Ours like house eaves, parked cars, low shrubs. But do you know what they really like? Chicken, fry, broil, bake it don't matter you better beware the Yellow Jackets want it whether it's outside or inside, so be sure the screens are up.
    Yes, I was surprised to learn that they are carnivores and compete with the vultures for road kill. My doc has advised me to watch for infections for a few days because they may be carrying some pretty nasty bacteria.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Yellow jackets protect their ground nests up to a quarter mile radius.
    When one of their own are killed others are signaled to attack.
    They can sustain a flight speed up to 8-9 mph.
    A single yellow jacket can sting you more than once.
    The vibration of lawn mowers can stir up their ground nests. Buy a lawnmower that goes faster than 10 mph.
    They make their nests once a year early in the season.
    Their nests are pretty easy to locate as they tend to patrol within a short perimeter and go in and out of their nests pretty frequently during the day. They are generally inactive after dark.

Just discovered a nest in a landscaping timber at the edge of my driveway...10 feet from the end of my lift. They will die a sudden death one evening soon.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein