Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone have experience installing a mid-drive eBike kit on a handcycle?

Quote Originally Posted by Stsmark View Post
    Awesome thread, I have an awesome Lasher that has been sitting. This sounds like the spring project I’ve been looking for. Any thoughts as to + - of brands? Bosch, Yamaha, Bafang?
    Thanks Mark
    I looked around and from what I've seen you want to purchase a 'kit'. The kit from Lectric Cycles (www.lectriccycles.com) uses the Bafang motor and components, but according to the LBS that I'm working with they've sorted through all the components to weed out the more unreliable components. I decided on the 750w motor b/c I thought the 350w might be a bit underpowered given the hills around my area. I really wished that Lectric cycles offered a 500w motor. Their lineup jumps from 350w motor to a 750w motor, so I ended up going with the latter. I expect to hit some issues along the way, and will post anything I find.

I haven't had a power assisted handcycle, but I agree with y'all that it's probably a much better workout. When I gave handcycling a shot (not currently feasible where I live), I remember many places I wanted to go had big hills, which I would hit, and then in the bottom gear I would be cranking at 20 or 30 revolutions per minute, creeping along for several minutes. Impossible to keep up the heartrate when struggling to climb a hill like that. If I was able to power over the steep hill and continue the ride on more reasonable terrain I wouldn't lose my cadence like that... plus it would be way more fun

exactly. we were all boneheads for many years regarding assist and how it would feel like slacking, even though many old timers told me how much better of a workout it is. they were soooooo right, my workouts, consistent higher heart rate, cadence, speed and overall enjoyment level is much better with assist. not to mention all this equates to more calories burned per session.
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I haven't had a power assisted handcycle, but I agree with y'all that it's probably a much better workout. When I gave handcycling a shot (not currently feasible where I live), I remember many places I wanted to go had big hills, which I would hit, and then in the bottom gear I would be cranking at 20 or 30 revolutions per minute, creeping along for several minutes. Impossible to keep up the heartrate when struggling to climb a hill like that. If I was able to power over the steep hill and continue the ride on more reasonable terrain I wouldn't lose my cadence like that... plus it would be way more fun
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Mark Brereton Roadrace Powerpod for sale BO

I have the Mark Brertons Roadrace Powerpods motor like the second post up from here. is available for sale if anyone is interested. I sold my Force G handcycle so I don't need it anymore.
    The main advantage of having this instead of the mid-motor or the bionic emotor is that you can still use your handcycle without the motor, like if you're racing or something
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I agree Cybermex, it takes less than a minute to unhook the PowerPod and be completely manual. Nothing like going 30t mph and not even pedaling. It's been perfect for these worn out shoulders.

I agree Cybermex, it takes less than a minute to unhook the PowerPod and be completely manual. Nothing like going 30t mph and not even pedaling. It's been perfect for these worn out shoulders.

What are you asking for it? Without the batteries.