Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have experience installing a mid-drive eBike kit on a handcycle?

Does anyone have experience installing a mid-drive eBike kit on a handcycle?

I'd like to install a mid-drive eBike kit (e.g. eRad) on my Top End CC handcycle, and would be very interested in learning about any best practices, advice, or ideas.

I have a friend who installed one on his RX, and he loves it. I've been asking him questions about the project to learn from his experience.

Has anyone tried this? Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by mid-drive. I use one of Mark Brertons Roadrace Powerpods. He used the rear half of a bike, designed a hitch with latchesa nd away we go. I've got up to 35mph without pedaling with it. It coud have gone faster but that was fast enough.

The lithium 48vt20ah battery made it like a rocketship taking off.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Not sure what you mean by mid-drive. I use one of Mark Brertons Roadrace Powerpods. He used the rear half of a bike, designed a hitch with latchesa nd away we go. I've got up to 35mph without pedaling with it. It coud have gone faster but that was fast enough.

The lithium 48vt20ah battery made it like a rocketship taking off.
    Hi Patrick. The mid-drive motor is essentially a crank assembly attached to a motor. Bafang and eRad are two brands (same company, two brands) of kits you can use to retrofit a normal bike to ebike. The units come with a control pad and display, and they can provide a partial assist similar to a Bionix hub motor.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    Hi Patrick. The mid-drive motor is essentially a crank assembly attached to a motor. Bafang and eRad are two brands (same company, two brands) of kits you can use to retrofit a normal bike to ebike. The units come with a control pad and display, and they can provide a partial assist similar to a Bionix hub motor.
    lasher had been doing it, never saw on rx before post up pics of your buddies if u can. we have always used bionx with great success on our Quad Elite builds but they are in receivership and we sold through the 30 we had at the shop.....
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    lasher had been doing it, never saw on rx before post up pics of your buddies if u can. we have always used bionx with great success on our Quad Elite builds but they are in receivership and we sold through the 30 we had at the shop.....
    Thanks John. I’ll check into this and post some pictures. I found another person who is in the process of installing one on a Top End Force 3, so hopefully some additional input once he’s finished with the project.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay on this. Here's a quick update. First, here are some photos of friends' projects. One installed a mid-drive motor on a Force3, the other installed a mid-drive motor on an RX. The photos give you an idea of how the motor is installed. Second, I'm having a local bike shop (also a bike maker and fabricator) install the motor on a Top End CC for me (purchased it used a couple of years ago) because I just don't have the time right now. So, stay tuned and hopefully I'll have more to share. Some things that I've learned along the way:
    - Motor and material were sourced from Lectric Cycles (www.lectriccycles.com). The motors are Bafang, but according to the bike shop this company has worked out some of the reliability/consistency issues with the kit.
    - I ordered a 750w motor b/c I live in an area of California with hills, so the motor will likely get a workout.
    - Since I'm not getting a throttle (the system will be assist-only), I'm skipping the brake sensor but will likely still get the shift sensor

I'm really looking forward to getting the motor installed.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay on this. Here's a quick update. First, here are some photos of friends' projects. One installed a mid-drive motor on a Force3, the other installed a mid-drive motor on an RX. The photos give you an idea of how the motor is installed. Second, I'm having a local bike shop (also a bike maker and fabricator) install the motor on a Top End CC for me (purchased it used a couple of years ago) because I just don't have the time right now. So, stay tuned and hopefully I'll have more to share. Some things that I've learned along the way:
    - Motor and material were sourced from Lectric Cycles (www.lectriccycles.com). The motors are Bafang, but according to the bike shop this company has worked out some of the reliability/consistency issues with the kit.
    - I ordered a 750w motor b/c I live in an area of California with hills, so the motor will likely get a workout.
    - Since I'm not getting a throttle (the system will be assist-only), I'm skipping the brake sensor but will likely still get the shift sensor

I'm really looking forward to getting the motor installed.

eassist is the future imo. ppl are realizing u actually get a better more consistant workout with assist. i have a 500w bionx on my QUAD ELITE and hybrid stricker, my HR gets up and stays up consistently and way longer. win win
    are you going pedalic or torque sensing
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    eassist is the future imo. ppl are realizing u actually get a better more consistant workout with assist. i have a 500w bionx on my QUAD ELITE and hybrid stricker, my HR gets up and stays up consistently and way longer. win win
    are you going pedalic or torque sensing
    Totally agree. For me, the biggest advantage is that it will provide me with far greater options for cycling - where I can go, who I can cycle with, how long I can cycle. And I agree with your point around consistency and fitness level. I'll document what I can to pass along info for others. I believe the system will be pedalic, but not quite sure of the difference. Can you clarify?

Totally agree. For me, the biggest advantage is that it will provide me with far greater options for cycling - where I can go, who I can cycle with, how long I can cycle. And I agree with your point around consistency and fitness level. I'll document what I can to pass along info for others. I believe the system will be pedalic, but not quite sure of the difference. Can you clarify?
    pedalic- normally at cranks, senses and kicks assist in as cranks rotate
    torque- senses torque/pressure to kick in assist
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Awesome thread, I have an awesome Lasher that has been sitting. This sounds like the spring project I’ve been looking for. Any thoughts as to + - of brands? Bosch, Yamaha, Bafang?
    Thanks Mark