Thread: Bladder stones and kidney stones? Potassium citrate?

Bladder stones and kidney stones? Potassium citrate?

Has anyone used potassium citrate or sodium citrate for treatment of bladder stones and kidney stones? I have found several studies that show that this medication works quite well for dissolution and treatment of bladder stones and kidney stones. I have problems with bladder stones since roughly 6 months after my injury, now at 13 months, they have recurred a couple times, and now I have a couple kidney stones as well.

Once again, doctors write prescriptions and come in and talk with you for five minutes and do not actually treat the problem, the urology department I have been working with will not look at medical studies from PubMed database, used by doctors and medical researchers, that I have access to with my university credentials; they simply say that I am trying to play Doctor and I should know my place and listen to what they have to say because they are the pros. The professionals who do things on the fly without actually looking at looking at current medical studies (probably because they are too busy with their McMansion in the suburbs outside Boston). Simply doing the same old thing over and over and over mindlessly, same treatment, never improving.

Regardless, finding a new urologist ASAP.

Right now buying potassium citrate for dogs and cats with kidney stones from Amazon.com, because apparently now it is Dallas Buyers Club for urology medication.

Does anyone have any experience with potassium citrate or sodium citrate? What dosage would someone recommend? Does anyone have any other suggestions for medication for stones? I have heard lemon juice works and I will be investing in that as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Injured on July 8th 2017 at 28 years old.
    Fractured C4 - C7, Incomplete.

Facebook Email

Remember the old saying "if you don't use it, you lose it"? Kidney and bladder stones are the fate of nearly all new spinal cord injuries. Following my SCI, it took approximately 3 years before my body had depleted enough calcium for stones not to be a regular problem. Of course everyone is different, the speed at which the calcium leeches from your bones depends upon your spasticity and muscle tone. When I was injured, spasticity was considered bad so I was given enough muscle relaxants to make my body numb. It didn't take long for my skeletal frame to resemble that of a 95 year old bedridden man. For me , the stones have been a recurring problem for over 40 years. The bladder stones are not noticeable and flushed clear by drinking plenty of fluids. The kidney stones reappear about every 10 years and always in the right side.

The only thing I know of that will help hasten the inevitable is physical exercise and stimulation; FES for the legs and arms, the standing table, vibration therapy.

I have no experience with potassium citrate.
    Last edited by QuadmanJr; 09-01-2018 at 12:23 PM.

have you done 24 hour urines to see your level of citrate in the urine? I do it every year at the last 10 years I am always low, yet my urologist does not feel it need supplemental citrate. I did however recently start consuming daily water with lemon juice dissolved in it. Don't use lemonade with the sugar or lemon flavored seltzer or soda. It just won't give you enough concentration. Try not just to make the water tangy, and not overpowering. I drink about one large glass of this per day. You can also try consuming more foods with citrate in them.

unless you know your level of citrate then you won't know how much of an issue this really is.

Litholink labs give you an excellent report based on a 24 hour urine specimen. Your doctor writes the prescription, they send you the kit and you send back a small test tube in a postage-paid FedEx box. I've been using them for years.

it is quite convenient and can be done in the comfort of your own home.

What were the composition of your stones when analyzed? Most stones in SCI are struvite and from infections. cWO
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 10-02-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Tea I drink

Hi,

Have been treated twice for kidney and bladderstones. Last one just over a year ago and there was still a small stone left in my kidney.
    Started drinking a special tea since then twice a day. Had 2 scans since then and the stone slowly is decreasing, so no further medical action needed for now.

This is a link to it:

https://riohealth.co.uk/products/rio...nt=39551117326

Good luck,
    Ferdy

What is your incidence and frequency of urinary tract infections?

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.