Thread: leg bag?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

leg bag?

I have an SP tube and need to know what type of leg or sports bag should I get? I currently use coloplast leg bag with extention tubing and I'm having leakage issues from the stoma.

Quote Originally Posted by SLIQNES View Post
    I have an SP tube and need to know what type of leg or sports bag should I get? I currently use coloplast leg bag with extention tubing and I'm having leakage issues from the stoma.
    How long have you had a supra pubic catheter?

You will get almost as many opinions about and recommendations for various leg bags as Care Cure Community has supra pubic catheter users.

Personally, I have used UroCare's disposable vinyl 32 ounce leg bags for 8 years. I've experienced no leaking from the stoma. The extension tubing is sold separately and you have a choice between white rubber or vinyl tubing. Medicare requires vendors to include extension tubing at no extra charge, if the leg bag does not already come with extension tubing. Many private pay insurance companies may follow the Medicare model. You should check with your supplier. Of course if you pay for the bags yourself, you will need to purchase the tubing separately in the case of the UroCare bag. UroCare: https://www.urocare.com/EN/ProductsEN.php

I don't use the elastic leg straps supplied with the leg bag, I use a UroCare fabric leg bag holder. The holder is sized more for the 18 once vinyl bag, but it works okay with the 32 ounce bag.

You might want to do a bit more problem solving. Leaking from the supra pubic stoma doesn't necessarily have to be the fault of your leg bag. Maybe it is your catheter. Are you using the Poiesis Duette catheter. It has two balloons with the drainage eye;ets in between the balloons. Sometimes single balloon catheters can lay against the bladder wall and that tissue can occlude the catheter. If urne can't get through the catheter it will come through the stoma or the urethra. Poiesis Duette: http://www.poiesismedical.com/products/duette/

Stones or sandy granules or debris in the urine can clog the eyelets causing leakage.

The way you secure your catheter, the tubing and the leg bag can also contribute to leakage.

I've had my Sp catheter since 2013. I use stat-lock to secure the catheter with leg straps to secure the bag w/tubing. I also have the urocare leg bag holder you mentioned above,last time I used it I let the bag get too full so it detached from the SP tube and I was soaked. I go to a urologist once a month for SP tube to be changed should I contact them about the Duette?

Quote Originally Posted by SLIQNES View Post
    I've had my Sp catheter since 2013. I use stat-lock to secure the catheter with leg straps to secure the bag w/tubing. I also have the urocare leg bag holder you mentioned above,last time I used it I let the bag get too full so it detached from the SP tube and I was soaked. I go to a urologist once a month for SP tube to be changed should I contact them about the Duette?
    If you haven't tried the Duette catheter, it is definitely worth a try. Poiesis will send you several free samples to try. Poiesis will also contact your urologist with a physician's kit if you request it to go to your urologist. Send your requests and concerns to: charlene@poiesismedical.com This phone numbrr may be useful too: (561) 399-9864

Don't be troubled if they are slow in responding. They are a small company.

I also noticed it doesn't leak when I'm in bed,i use a bed side drainage bag.