Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Right Run failure

Out of curiosity, what are the rest of you running Right Runs at psi-wise?

115-120 sounds on the low side to me, I pump my marathon pluses up to 135 or so and by the time it slowly leaks down to 110 over the course of a couple weeks I am really feeling the difference.

You are using run rights in a way they were never designed to handle. They are court tires. You wouldn't use a 200psi sew up on an off road bike would you? Get the right tool for the job. The marathons are made for abuse. There are some other tires you could look into. The Primo sentinel and the Kontender. I've gone to the sentinel after 5 years+ on marathons. I'm going to try the Kontenders next. You might look at a set of the supension wheels if you want to play. Or a suspension chair. You are trying to use a tire to do what a full suspension bike was made to do.

I've been using right runs for years with no issue and have now had three with this problem. It's a shame because I really like the price/performance of the tires.

A bulge is indicative of tire failure or a bead that has become unseated.
    If the bead has come unseated, that's an easy fix.

If you post pictures it can help identify the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    You are using run rights in a way they were never designed to handle. They are court tires. You wouldn't use a 200psi sew up on an off road bike would you? Get the right tool for the job. The marathons are made for abuse. There are some other tires you could look into. The Primo sentinel and the Kontender. I've gone to the sentinel after 5 years+ on marathons. I'm going to try the Kontenders next. You might look at a set of the supension wheels if you want to play. Or a suspension chair. You are trying to use a tire to do what a full suspension bike was made to do.
    I agree. These are court tires. How do you like the Primo Sentinel vs Marathon?

The failure is the tire case for sure and not the bead.

I run 120PSI as that is the limit that Spinergy has put on their Carbon Blades. Minimum stated inflation is 85PSI.

Cheers,
    Jim
    Last edited by LJH; 09-04-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Well.....actually in Cyclecross I have.

I would not consider what I am doing as "playing" and not consider the Right Run a court tire. Learning how to get up and down curbs is part of being in a wheelchair and the Right Runs have puncture protection which to me would indicate that they are an everyday tire and not a specialized court tire. No where in the description of the Right Run is the word "court" used, In fact it actually says "Excellent quality for intensive use" which would lead me to believe that this tire is meant for everyday use.

It sounds like from some of the replies that this is not a isolated case and that maybe more recently produced tires may suffer from some quality control issues.

Even if I have to replace tires more often I personally find that acceptable given how much better they perform over the Marathons.

Cheers,
    Jim

I've run right run's for years and I live on a farm so they are in gravel or pasture most of the time. no problems. If you run good tubes they go until the tread is gone. But then I run them at 110-120 when I run them higher I've had the valves blow, twice, and it's really loud

Hello All,
    I just wanted to give an update on the Right Run Failure. I swapped out the tires yesterday, I ended up trying the Primo Racer's. I was out and about a lot yesterday so got some time on the Racers. As far as rolling resistance the Racers are very similar to the Right Runs. There is both a positive and a negative to the tires. The sidewalls are very "grippy" so it is really easy to get a grip on the tires using either the tire or push rim with out a lot of gripping effort. The down side to this is that they are not terribly kind to the hand, mainly your palm just below the thumb. I imagine with time they will loose some of the grippyness but for now when my wife and I do our 2.5 mile loop I will need to wear gloves. I went with the blue ones and they match the anodization of my aluminum parts on my ZRA really well, with that said they may be a bit "boy racer" for this 51 year old guy. I am fine with them but the wife hates them....LOL

On the Right Run failure. The tire that failed had substantial delamination in the area of the bulge. The visible delamination was all in the center of the treaded part of the tire. The sidewalls looked fine and I did not see any other damage.

I put a note into Schwabe but have not heard back as of yet.

Cheers,
    Jim