Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right Run failure

Right Run failure

Hello All,
    I have been in my ZRA for 3 months and 99.9% of the time I have run my Carbon Blades with regular Right Runs on them. I just noticed that it looks like the casing is/has failed on one of the tires as there is a significant bulge. Wondering if any of you folks have had this happen? In all my years of riding bikes (BMX/Road/Mtn) I have never had a tire fail like this. In OT I have been doing a lot of curbs and yesterday I was nailing a good 6-7" curb and getting up it with little trouble, I am sure this has something to do with the failure.

With that said I want to replace the tires sooner rather then later. I have really liked the Right Runs up to now. I also have a set of standard Shadow wheels with Marathons and the Marathons make my chair feel like I am pushing it through quicksand. So, should I get another set of Right Runs or something else. I want a light tire with very good rolling performance. Longevity and price do not bother me and I am not terribly concerned about puncture resistance.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Jim

Sounds like you bruised the tire on a curb. Usually when you do that much damage, you pinch the tube and have a flat as well.
    Are you running full recommended pressure?
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I've had that happen before with right runs, try replacing the tube first.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Sounds like you bruised the tire on a curb. Usually when you do that much damage, you pinch the tube and have a flat as well.
    Are you running full recommended pressure?
    Yup, I actually inflated my tires right before I left to PT/OT because I knew I was going to be doing curbs and did not want to damage my wheels.

I have literally 10's of thousands of miles on bikes hopping curbs, rocks, etc. and just generally going "full send" and I have never damaged the tire itself but have had plenty of pinched tubes. It is very weird.

Cheers,
    Jim

You might pursue a warranty on that tire. That type of failure is very unusual. On a car tire, OK, but not WC
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    I've had that happen before with right runs, try replacing the tube first.
    I do not see how the tube could cause this issue to be honest. The tire is the "structural" element and keeps the tube from expanding. As long as the tire is structurally sound it will only expand so much, the tire is what keep the air contained and the tube just holds the air.

Not that I am adverse to running the Right Runs but I like to change things up. Have any of you tried the Primo Racers?

Cheers,
    Jim
    Last edited by LJH; 08-30-2018 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    the Marathons make my chair feel like I am pushing it through quicksand
    Yeah, I hear you on this, but at least once a year I end up rolling my marathons directly through a pile of broken glass, whether that be a glass I dropped behind myself in the kitchen like a dumbass, or some jacktard who smashed a glass bottle on the sidewalk directly in front of the only entryway to my apartment.

With the marathons the only concern I have in rolling through shards of jagged glass is that I might cut my hands if some of the glass gets caught up in the tires and then I brush my hand across the top of the tire by accident. By now I am quite confident no glass is going to puncture the tire.

Once I get an extra set of wheels, I'm sure I'll feel differently like you do, but until I have that kind of money, the marathons are the only tires I believe in to get me everywhere, every day, quicksand or no.

Take a picture and seed it to schwalbe. I have had a couple of rightruns go bad but schwalbe got a new tire within days both times.They're very responsive.

I have had a number of Right Run failures recently, but only on chairs with a little camber on the wheels (Panthera S2 and Quickie Xenon). I used my Quickie Neon with zero camber for years with Right Runs with absolutely no problems.
    Unfortunately there are not many options available in SA, but Marathon Plus tires have served me well, with no further bulging or popping.
    T4 complete since 30 April 2012

3 years ago i bought my first set of right runs from sportaid. 540s (24 inchers.) i used them in my "mostly inside" chair. i was pumping them up to 115-120. (0 camber.) as i remember, the sides were not looking/feeling right from day one, and it was slowly getting worse, and after three weeks of light use, one of them exploded, taking the inner tube out too, of course, while i was sitting in it. fortunately this happened while i was at home. i doubt that the other one would have lasted a week more. before ad after i was using marathon pluses only. however the new/current ones are annoying me more and more (too mushy/spongy compared to the old ones), so two weeks ago i got a pair of right runs for my "mostly outside" chair. again from sportaid, and these are 559s (25 inchers.) so far, i don't see nor feel any deformation on these. fingers crossed. they are much lighter and roll much better than the marathons. if these will not self destruct i will probably continue using them. this thread makes me nervous a bit, though.

regarding the first set, i did contact sportaid and sent them some images too, but never got any reply from them. i have never contacted schwalbe.