Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: minivan ?

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Any chance you could try the ramp on a mini van before one is provided to you? I'm not SCI, but paralyzed from armpits down, and on my best days I really struggled to get up the 2 or 3 ramps I tried at dealership and friends who had them in their mini vans.
    If I'm correct, the ADA requirement for construction issues is 12:1, that is for every inch of height at entry, the ramp should be 12 feet long. Of course this is impossible for vans, but just suggesting that a ramp to a mini van definitely takes effort.

thats what im probably gonna do dam these vans are expensive to buy
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I looked last Spring. VMI was bought out by an investment group so we know how quality changes when greed comes into play by investment groups. I was adamant on a fold out while they continually tried to push me into an in-floor VMI.Looking at VMI's inventory in Arizona, they had like 1500 in floors and one fold out available. So I kind of knew a VMI Fold out is not one I want. I have a 2000 VMI Chrysler limited van I bought from the same dealer when he was the district salesman for VMI and was disappointed how we were treated and coerced into buying something we didn't want.

When the time comes, I'll either go with the Pacifica or Toyota with a Braun foldout. Will add a longer section to the bottom of the foldout for less angle. I sure wish they would come up with a small lift for the mini rather than a ramp. When we looked, the El Dorado conversion had the least angled ramp. They'll also send parts to the owner and help with repairs if needed.

I think the rough estimate for van (I like top of the line) and conversion was going to be around 110 grand. My Limited works fine so in no hurry to buy a new one.

Crash test results and rating were announced August 16, 2018:
    https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...created-equal/

These tests are pre wheelchair conversion.

Crash Tests Show Not All Minivans Are Created Equal
    Crash Tests Show Not All Minivans Are Created Equal New results from the IIHS show a significant difference in passenger-side protection
    By Jeff S. Bartlett
    August 16, 2018

Some minivans are better than others at protecting passenger-side occupants during a crash, according to the latest tests by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The IIHS has just announced findings on a trio of minivans, and Honda’s Odyssey came out on top with a Good rating. (There are four IIHS ratings: Good, Acceptable, Marginal, and Poor.)

The Chrysler Pacifica earned an Acceptable rating, and the Toyota Sienna got a Marginal rating in part because of the risk of possible leg injuries

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    how hard is the ramp to climb in a manual chair im t10 complete any input appreciated
    If you are a para, getting into a minivan with the kneel engaged is easy. It's not real tough to get in with the kneel off, if you are a strong hombre.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I looked last Spring. VMI was bought out by an investment group so we know how quality changes when greed comes into play by investment groups. I was adamant on a fold out while they continually tried to push me into an in-floor VMI.Looking at VMI's inventory in Arizona, they had like 1500 in floors and one fold out available. So I kind of knew a VMI Fold out is not one I want. I have a 2000 VMI Chrysler limited van I bought from the same dealer when he was the district salesman for VMI and was disappointed how we were treated and coerced into buying something we didn't want.

When the time comes, I'll either go with the Pacifica or Toyota with a Braun foldout. Will add a longer section to the bottom of the foldout for less angle. I sure wish they would come up with a small lift for the mini rather than a ramp. When we looked, the El Dorado conversion had the least angled ramp. They'll also send parts to the owner and help with repairs if needed.

I think the rough estimate for van (I like top of the line) and conversion was going to be around 110 grand. My Limited works fine so in no hurry to buy a new one.
    I know I am going off topic here, but I am startled by your rough estimate of a converted mini van. I searched the top of the line, 2019 Honda Odyssey Elite on TruCar. The Elite has Navigation, video, premium sound system, leather interiors, all the bells and whistles. TruCar lists the MSRP sticker price at $47,965. Can the wheelchair conversion, top of the line actually cost $62,000?
    Last edited by gjnl; 08-31-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    how hard is the ramp to climb in a manual chair im t10 complete any input appreciated
    I'm a C7/8 incomplete. I had a van for the first year after I was injured. Going up with the van in kneel mode was OK. But going down was another story.

I had an experience where I put the ramp down on a surface that wasn't level (i.e. so the slope of the ramp was higher than normal) + the surface was rough. Bad combination. Everything looked fine at the top of the ramp, but the slope was just a bit too much. I tried to slow up, my wheels slid down the ramp, the castors caught the rough pavement below, and I went forward with my chair on top. I sold the van shortly after. So if you get the van, be very cautious of the conditions when you're getting out.

I would say go down the ramp forwards in a wheelie. Backwards is an accident waiting to happen.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I know I am going off topic here, but I am startled by your rough estimate of a converted mini van. I searched the top of the line, 2019 Honda Odyssey Elite on TruCar. The Elite has Navigation, video, premium sound system, leather interiors, all the bells and whistles. TruCar lists the MSRP sticker price at $47,965. Can the wheelchair conversion, top of the line actually cost $62,000?
    We were startled by it also GJ. The conversion, Transfer base with hand controls. The transfer base was close to 9 or 10 grand, hand controls were around 3500(I think) and around 42grand (VMI) in floor plus tax all adds up.
    He was offering the Pacifica with 25,000 at full price without any discount for mileage. Wife couldn't get out of there fast enough. Trucar gives the basic full price, Conversion dealers offer at top of full price.

Dear wheelin 48 - - have you considered NOT using a ramp? I'm also a t-10 (for 30 years) and i have had three minivans. I remove the rear seat (on the drivers side) transfer into the van and then pull the chair in. I rest all of my body weight on the door frame which gives me a good/sturdy position to pull the chair up.

the other person insurance doesnt want to pay to deliver it and the place is an hour away i think imjust gonna have them rent me a car
    thanks for all yalls input
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]