Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kicking Morphine Dependancy

I have to disagree, opioids are safer on the body than alternatives that are hard on liver. to many patients drink alcohol when they are also taking opioids and this causes the deaths. Alcohol use with 24/7 opioid , especially the long half life meds like methadone really increase the chance of respiratory distress. Alcohol use with meds that have Acetaminophen in them is also hard on the liver.
    cigarettes smoking has been banned in many public indoor and outdoor areas, it has been removed from many movies and TV shows so kids do grow up with it as a normal activity as my generation did . Smokers have been marginalized and not promoted as the cool kids on the stoop, we need this for alcohol consumption too,,excess drinking is still a huge college tradition, and this is when their brain is still developing. USA prisons are filled with people who now realize that if they hadn't been drinking they would not be in prison . Alcohol use needs to be exposed for the harm it causes
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    I have to disagree, opioids are safer on the body than alternatives that are hard on liver. to many patients drink alcohol when they are also taking opioids and this causes the deaths. Alcohol use with 24/7 opioid , especially the long half life meds like methadone really increase the chance of respiratory distress. Alcohol use with meds that have Acetaminophen in them is also hard on the liver.
    cigarettes smoking has been banned in many public indoor and outdoor areas, it has been removed from many movies and TV shows so kids do grow up with it as a normal activity as my generation did . Smokers have been marginalized and not promoted as the cool kids on the stoop, we need this for alcohol consumption too,,excess drinking is still a huge college tradition, and this is when their brain is still developing. USA prisons are filled with people who now realize that if they hadn't been drinking they would not be in prison . Alcohol use needs to be exposed for the harm it causes
    Not sure what point you are trying to make here other than alcohol=bad, but opioids are DEFINITELY capable of killing you without any alcohol involved. Take enough and you stop breathing. That’s just what the mu opioid receptor does.

im not sure what you consider “alternatives” that are hard on the liver. Most non opioid pain medications do not cause any liver issues. Opioids kill as many people as car wrecks do in the United States (and this is only counting acute overdoses, not chronic complications), it would take a hell of an unsafe alternative to approach that level of destruction and decimation of young lives.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Not sure what point you are trying to make here other than alcohol=bad, but opioids are DEFINITELY capable of killing you without any alcohol involved. Take enough and you stop breathing. That’s just what the mu opioid receptor does.

im not sure what you consider “alternatives” that are hard on the liver. Most non opioid pain medications do not cause any liver issues. Opioids kill as many people as car wrecks do in the United States (and this is only counting acute overdoses, not chronic complications), it would take a hell of an unsafe alternative to approach that level of destruction and decimation of young lives.
    I don't have anything in from of me to confirm it, but I'm pretty certain that alcohol kills more than opioids in this country. Plus, many (a preponderance?) of alcohol deaths are not directly reported. How many suicides, MV accidents, organ failures have a root cause of chronic alcohol abuse but are not attributed?

And, no argument! Opioids ARE bad!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I don't have anything in from of me to confirm it, but I'm pretty certain that alcohol kills more than opioids in this country. Plus, many (a preponderance?) of alcohol deaths are not directly reported. How many suicides, MV accidents, organ failures have a root cause of chronic alcohol abuse but are not attributed?

And, no argument! Opioids ARE bad!
    Agree on all points. I just disagree pretty strongly with metro's assertion that opioids are "safer than alternatives"...

But if we're looking at the whole picture, there's a whole lot more people that drink, and that's why alcohol causes more deaths. I bet if 100,000,000 people in this country regularly used opioids, they would be more destructive than alcohol.

I am speaking only of the people who are prescribed their meds and take them with out abusing them. and that includes without drinking alcohol . There are plenty of pain patients that have gone 15-20 plus years without any incidents.
    Opioids have no upper daily limit, as long as the body is adjusted to the dose, which means if a opiate naive person took my dose of fentora or other narcotic pain med,they would suffer respiratory depression.

. Tramadol and acetaminophen both have a daily limit and attack the liver. I wouldn't want to be taking high doses of Tramadol for 15 - 20 years, I am sure the people that now have to take Tramadol since the hospital or doctor no longer will write RX for opiates due to fear of loss of license are taking well over the 400mg daily limit, they have no choice if they are in pain.
    cauda equina

Have you tried Kratom that helped me with opiate with drawls.

What is the nature of your pain? Neuropathic (nerve)? Musculoskeletal? Spasticity?

were you ever offered methadone as an alternative to the long acting morphine?

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Pain meds are not evil and improves the quality of life of many

Are you addicted to food or is it needed for your body to be able to function? Should we ban it because people abuse it and become obese? This blanket condemnation of opioids is plain stupid. Also if done correctly, titrating off of narcotics is not as horrible as being described. This is speaking from personal experience.

Almost all of the opioid overdoses reported in the media are from street drugs being injected by untreated addicts containing who knows what. Do not disagree that we as a society are prescribed too many drugs, narcotics included, but to deny somebody in pain relief from the pain is inhumane.

The first 35 years my pain management was mostly through meditation, but now that my back has given out in order to get in the wheelchair need narcotics. However, because of the new guidelines they put me into palliative care for a month and then to hospice two give me narcotics because of the autonomic dysreflexia caused by the pain.

Here is what other disciples of medicine believe:

Among the groups opposing the new guidelines is the American Cancer Society's Cancer Action Network, which has asked the CDC to withdraw the guidelines, stating that they were based on "limited" and "low quality" evidence. Other organizations that have expressed concern about the guidelines include the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pain Management, the Oncology Nursing Society, the Interstitial Cystitis Association and the U.S. Pain Foundation.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...providers.html

However, each person and each situation is different and unique.